What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Issue with freight claim.

bret

Well Known Member
Looking for any one with experience with freight damage claimes, although mine is not a significant amount of value, it is the way they value the product. So...I had longerons shipped in a PVC pipe from Vans, ( bought QB wings and SB fuse) and the pipe was broke, and the angles came out and got ran over by a train while it was in the back of the truck, or something, so I go through the claim proses and I get a check from the shipping co and they do not cover craiting charges and only pay 2 dollars per pound? What if they lost my one Lb diamond from Africa? Anyway, something is not right with this, looking to see if anyone else has gone through this. Bret.

When my wing crate arrived damaged, I had the driver make a statement and sign it right on the waybill. When I called ABF they were initially not going to pay until I told them about the statement. This was many years ago and I'm not sure it this method will still work. I realize this is probably too late in your case.

The shipping damage was on the B O L and there was no issue that they damaged it in shipment, the question is, how do they come up with two dollars per pound of damage, when I sent them the actual cost of the parts?

I screwed up one of my longeron's and was able to locate a metal supplier not to far from home and drove over to pick it up. Won't help for your freight claim but no way did I want to pay for shipping one from Van's. I used "Speedy Metal's" and they have distribution outlets all over.

If you decide to source replacement aluminum angle locally, be sure you get structural angle rather than architectural angle, which is what most non-aircraft suppliers sell, even if the alloy and dimensions/thickness are what you require. You can tell the difference by the radius on the angles.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing

Most carriers have a stock insurance value based on some $$ per pound. Unless additional insurance was purchased, you are stuck with the stock rate in their common carrier agreement.

Most carriers have a stock insurance value based on some $$ per pound. Unless additional insurance was purchased, you are stuck with the stock rate in their common carrier agreement.

OK then Charlie, first response about price per pound, that was my original question. I was lucky and only losing out 40.00 what would someone do if they lost out on a big claim like a canopy. That price per pound would be way out of wack!

Well, the reason for this post is of course the money thing, but now, it is for the future kit buyer, mine is ok but what IF, THEY BREAK YOUR SHI$? And you are out thousands of dollars? Are you suppose to know to buy additional insurance or just buy the kit and go? I was not informed to buy additional insurance, but check this out! If my damage was thousands of dollars, I would be out THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! So if there are others out there with experience on this subject, please share. Bret

Might not be what you are after....but.

When I was shipping a whole aircraft over seas, Vans was at pains to remind me that I needed to make sure that the total value of the shipment was insured. Infact they arranged said insurance, and it was added to the bill, as you would expect.

When any goods are shipped to me (overseas) I am aware that I can either choose to insure the goods or not. If not then the total liability is, of course, mine. I have insured expensive items, but not cheaper things, as the insurance cost is sometimes not a lot different to the value of the item. Mind you, sometimes the postage costs more than the item as well.

Jim

I just received the bill of lading for my 12 kits and Van's made sure the shipment was insured for the entire value of the kits, not just the standard rate.

Back