What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Audio panel/ intercom

algrajek

Well Known Member
I'm adding an additional common to my RV6. I am looking for a simple intercom and audio panel for two radios. I don't need Nav functions etc. Just radios and perhaps music inputs. Any suggestions?
Thanks

You can also use a Standard Intercom like a PM1000II and a toggle switch to select between both radios.

I got PS Engineering's PAR100EX. It serves as my intercom (2 inputs), plus has a built-in VHF (my Comm 1). It will accept a second radio, which in my case is my SkyView VHF (Comm 2). It has audio inputs that allow my wife to patch in audio from her Ipad or phone, and I can sequester her audio to her alone. We can do the same with it's Bluetooth. As you wish, it has no nav inputs.

PAR100EX has been replaced by their PAR200A:
http://www.ps-engineering.com/PAR200.shtml

It only takes up panel space for one component. The transceiver is a seperate satellite component: I installed it on my subpanel out of sight but easily accessible.

Love it! :cool:

Do not try this, it never works very well. You will not be happy with the results.

I have to respectively disagree here. It may not work for everybody, but I've been using this method for over 20 years and am very happy with it.

The toggle switch must switch both PTT and Mic audio.

As a retired EE with good credentials and deep electronics design experience, I'm with Mel on this one...there are several ways to setup two COMs without an expensive audio panel.

My latest favorite, especially if you have to buy a intercom, is to use the Dynon intercom and switches. The Dynon has separate audio inputs for two COMs and a NAV if needed. Then you use a 3PDT COM select switch and a SPST both select switch. That's less than $10 plus the cost of the intercom.

And I understand Mike H's comments and concerns as you will probably get poor results if you don't have some sort of summing amplifier (internal in the Dynon mentioned earlier) for the audio signals...

Send me your email and I'll email a schematic.

I have to respectively disagree here. It may not work for everybody, but I've been using this method for over 20 years and am very happy with it.

+3 I use the intercom plus switch method and I'm happy, and I have 2 coms plus one VOR, plus various warning tones, and music. As noted above it is best to have separate inputs for each radio or other audio source.

Actually, since you don't have to listen to 3 morse codes and marker beacons and stuff anymore I think the traditional audio panel is going extinct. I just threw away a couple king KMA's (along with a Pioneer Superscope).

Dynon Interphone

All the above posts will work. Look into the Dynon's Interphone. Works great and is only $295. Two radio inputs, a couple of other inputs, plus music input, has remote 1/2 transmit switch, and stereo output. Complete kit with all connectors for $295. Just an idea.

Good luck.

Brian

I am doing the same as Mel and am very happy with it. My airplane is only 18-years old and have had no issue with it set up as Mel describes.

PMA4000

We called it the "Scappoose" project when the development began on the PMA4000. I think this is the airport that Mr. VanGrunsven used as his airport.

It can be installed like an intercom or in a 2 /14" hole.

Two Coms, Two Navs, 4 place IntelliVox intercom, music input with muting.

The biggest advantage of having an audio panel rather than using switches is that an audio panel has the means of "summing" audio signals. So if the pilot wishes, they could listen just to Com 1, or to both Coms, Nav audio, or some other switched audio.

For those pilots still wanting to use a speaker, there is a cabin speaker amplifier in the panel as well.

http://psengine.com/pma4000.shtml

There are 1000's in the field and has proven over the years, to be an extremely reliable product. While it is very unusual to get any of our products in for repair, the PMA4000 gets a standing ovation when it comes back in for repair, the unit usually has physical signs of sever abuse ;)

I chose the GMA 240

I just went through this same issue, retrofitting my panel with the GTR200 comm and also keeping my KX125 Nav/Comm. There is enough functionality in the GTR200 to provide a quality intercom and support audio for a second radio.

The thought was to pipe the Nav audio and Comm audio from the second radio through the 2 aux audio inputs of the GTR200, and then to add a switch to transfer the headset audio and mikes as needed.

However when I started to draw out the circuits with all those wires for stereo headsets and mics and PTT's going through that switch, and thought about debugging the resulting spaghetti wiring I decided to spend the money for the audio panel.

It was really hard to spend that extra money, and to buy the crimping tool for the high density pins used by those audio panels, but otherwise it simplified the installation and provides a more straightforward interface for switching radios and controlling the intercom.

D I really need a audio panel?

Looking at this thread I wonder if I really need an audio panel.

I will install Dynons Skyview, an MGL V6 radio and would like a stereo input. As for my second radio it will be my KX99 with a plug in adapter.

The mission is VFR day/night.

Any thoughts as to why I would need an audio panel?

I have a KMA24H but would rather not install it if I dont need it.

Dave

I’m part of the crowd which believes an audio panel is the best solution but will admit to using a “simple” switch between radios.

The switch really should switch “speaker”, “mic”, and “PTT”. Additionally, it is possible to also feed the COMM2 audio into a COMM1 auxiliary input which allows you to use your COMM2 for picking up ATIS, etc while still using COMM1.

The switch solution works when COMM2 is an installed radio or a handheld.

Wiring is important. You need to pay attention to the audio grounds and you want to keep everything as shielded as possible.

All of this is possible with a high quality multi-pole switch. (I tried a really convenient switch and it failed within a year because it was never meant to withstand the type of environment we see in typical aircraft operations.)

Here is the switch I’ve been using for several years now.

2F23264F-B5CA-4606-90A5-2D9AA710EC83-575x323.jpeg

Back