What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Active GA areas around DFW?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I actually thought I saw a similar thread to this bEfore but I can't find it. If a guy wanted to move to the Dallas area and be near an active GA airport, where would that guy look for a house?

In other words, what are the active EAA chapters around Dallas? What airports are actually busy on the weekends? That's where I want to move!

Dallas Chapter 168 is a VERY active chapter. We meet every first Tuesday at the Manske Liibrary in Farmers Branch.
The McKinney Chapter meets every second Thursday and is also very active.
Probably the most active GA airport is Aero Country (T31) just west of McKinney. Everything there from ultralights to Warbirds and everything in between.
Call me with questions.
Mel 972-784-7544

Does anyone know anything about Grand Prairie (GPM) airport near Arlington (south of DFW)?

Are hangars available for sale or purchase? Any info on prices or rent?

I'm currently living in Michigan and want to move to the Dallas area. I need to be somewhat close to DFW for work and I'd also like to be close to a small airport where I can keep my RV-7.

Thanks for any info. I prefer to stay south or west of DFW. Or maybe even to the northwest near Denton as there seems to be a lot of airports up that way.

At GPM you get to a spot on the ramp. You then can get on a waiting list for covered parking. Once there you can get on a waiting list for a hanger that floods. Once there you can get on a waiting list for a dry hanger.Arlington is just Arlington. Hicks and Northwest Regional are where all the cool kids hang out.

Where will your work location be, specifically? While places may look easy on paper, it can take a LONG time from point A to point B in some instances. If we know where you'll be driving each day for work I can more easily give you house and hangar suggestions. I've been here all of my 48-years.

South of the metroplex there is also Midway airport in Midlothian/Waxahachie but that would be quite a driving commute to the D/FW airport area.

Arlington's identifier is KGKY... before the tower was opened, the traffic in and out of the pattern was so congested and crazy that some of the locals jokingly said that GKY stood for "Go Kill Yourself". I dunno how bad the air traffic there is now with a control tower to impart some sanity. I've never landed there myself, mostly out of fear of the place. I've landed at Grand Prairie several times and it was always pretty easy to get in and out of there.

Last edited:
Highland Village (where I live) is about a 20 minute drive to DFW airport (south) and 20 minute drive to where I keep the RV-6 (west). We're in the 'cheap seats' of HV, not the houses next to the lake. Lotsa road construction lately to widen the area arteries - shortly the drive time should decrease.

v/r,
dr

All of these responses are very useful-thank you!

Gary-I need to get to the employee parking at DFW which I believe is on the South side of the airport.

I'd be real happy with a 20 minute drive to DFW airport and a 20 minute drive to my RV.

It sounds like either South or West is the ideal location. Which highways are the high traffic ones? How is 360 to the south or 121 to the west for traffic?

Specific suggestions are welcome! :)

Arlington

121 is horrific! Granted it's under major construction along parts of it right now, but even when completed I'll probably still try to avoid it.

360 isn't too bad. In the mornings it can be stacked up but not for long. If I were you (yes, I am a little biased!) I'd look to live in Arlington. Great town and a short and easy commute to DFW each day! Depending on where you were in Arlington, there are also many alternate routes which would mostly keep you off of 360 anyway. KGKY is a really nice airport. Enclosed T-hangars are usually available (average around $225-$275 per month) and we have a HUGE long runway- thanks to the Super Bowl Arlington hosted a few years ago. The airport was quickly remodeled due to the huge amount of Super Bowl aircraft expected. We have 6-7 RV's there that I know of, along with a Rocket. With the tower we now have, it is VERY pilot friendly. I'd MUCH prefer being based at KGKY versus Grand Prairie. The airports are only a few miles apart but Arlington is nice, modern, and very GA friendly.

Let me know if you're coming to town and I'll gladly show you around. Like most any town, there are areas where you'd really like to live, versus areas not as nice. I'll gladly give you the low down on the town.

Grapevine, Keller, and/or Southlake are all nice towns too, and really-really close to DFW. You could also get to KGKY in about 30-40 minutes from these towns. It all depends on what price range you're looking at. Nice homes and neighborhoods in all towns listed!

Last edited:
Thanks Gary-I'd like to take you up on that offer sometime. Maybe when I have an overnight layover in Dallas we can meet up. It would be nice for me to know the general area I want to move before I get a realtor and actually start looking!

Won’t there be some sort of time vortex generated that will create a rift in reality if the guys that run VAF and RansClan live in the same city?
Sounds cool! Let’s try it….

PS: Here is a house five blocks from me for $194K (link)

Doug, nope. I think it just means that we are going to make Dallas the Mecca of general aviation! I'm just excited there's lots of activity there. Not much going on in Michigan!

[Sounds good to me! Come on down! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back