What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The RV Gyro?

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
I watched ‘Incredible Flying Cars’ on the Smithsonian Channel last night, and must admit the segment on auto-gyro.com ‘s fleet of products really piqued my interest. I found the lion’s share of it on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23oatiJ1EX4.

That got me thinking what it would look like if Van’s wanted to dabble in the market using some existing parts. Modified RV-8 fuse w/ Rotax (the engine used in the clip). Move the firewall to the back, use the existing VS and rudder, gear and canopy (tip over like a Long-EZ). You could put ten of these in a medium sized hangar.

And you don't have to build wings, flaps or ailerons! Buy the rotor from some other company that specializes in them (or not).

My crude photoshop attempt:

RVGryo.jpg

This was fun to think about.
br,
dr

PS: Watch the ‘jump’ takeoff and landing at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFNc1iY8wi0.
Got a big backyard? Airport shmairport!

Last edited:
The modern gyros are something else. I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but how does the pilot get the main blades rotating so fast for the 'jump' lift off? I suspect that the pilot taxis for a while to gain the necessary main blade rotation speed prior to the 'jump' lift off. So it's not really like a helicopter where one could take off in their back yard, unless of course their backyard has a runway. Sure looks like fun. Cheers.

The modern gyros are something else. I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box, but how does the pilot get the main blades rotating so fast for the 'jump' lift off? I suspect that the pilot taxis for a while to gain the necessary main blade rotation speed prior to the 'jump' lift off. So it's not really like a helicopter where one could take off in their back yard, unless of course their backyard has a runway. Sure looks like fun. Cheers.

Some of em have a drive that pre-spins the rotor.

I actually have some time in perhaps the most successful autogyro of recent history, the Umbaugh/Muncie/Air & Space 18. I had a friend who had the A&S version, the last of the three. I actually sold a plane to Don Farrington who owned the company, and was friends with on of the principle investors. Chris Volz Motors, the countries second largest GM dealer at the time, sold them from his showroom. The 18 was a good photo platform, and would do the vertical jump. The blades were set at flat pitch, a transmission engaged, and the rotor came up to speed in maybe a minute. As the clutch was released, the pitch kicked in, and the sensation was similar to someone jerking you straight up with a bungy. Wild!

That plane suffered a tumble when we landed in my back yard. On takeoff, the pilot tried to clear a ten foot hill with an eight foot jump. The nose gear dug in and it rolled sideways 90 degrees to the right. I was not on board, so was able to get the pilot out. Not much damage except to the three rotor blades. It sounded like three rounds in a Thompson, and the blades sailed quite a ways. While it was an unusual craft, it was easy to fly, and it did have some uses. As I recall, it flew about 80 mph on 180 hp, and could stay aloft at about 25 or 30. The landing roll was about 25 feet.

I haven't had a lot of desire to fly one in a loooong time.

Bob

Hey Doug,
If you made the VanGyro with a tractor design it may be more easily built.

THAT would be a project.

Glenn

If you are going to talk gyroplane / flying car, you better look at the PAL-V. This thing is really cool. http://pal-v.com/press-media/videos/

Cool vehicle I agree!

But, I was trying to see if you TRIED to use all the of RV parts you could, how would it look. *Could* they re-engineer 30% of an RV-8 fuse and make it an auto-gyro? If they wanted to dip into that market someday, might they have 70% of the parts already engineered? That kind of thing.

RV-related and all that.

v/r,
dr

Last edited:
An RV8 based autogyro would be neat. I will say though that modern autogyros don't have any soul. This on the other hand is full of win. [ed. Agreed!!! dr]

Pitcairn-PCA-2-MissChampion-original-PRA-0405-1a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe that is a Pitcairn------used some parts from a Stinson as I recall.

Maybe DR is just following historical precedence ??

Back