What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filler under WR JetFlex paint

az_gila

Well Known Member
Has anyone got any proven recommendations for a flexible filler to use under the water-based S-W Jet Flex interior paint?

I was going to use ProSeal, but the cure times are a bit long in my workshop at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone has used a single stage RTV-like filler and had success painting over it.

Auto Body Shops use a product often referred to as seam sealer for sealing edges of spot welded in panels, etc.
I don't remember the make up of it at the moment (I think it might be acrylic based). It dries quickly. In fact it begins drying so quickly that you really don't have time for smoothing/tooling. You need to apply it looking the way you want it when dry.
It comes in squeeze tubes or pressurized calking tubes with a hand valve. I use the pressurized tubes. If you have skills making a nice bead using a regular calking gun, you can make this work well.
Compatible with all paints. Available at your local auto body paint supplier.

My experience is you will never get anything to stick to RTV. the Autobody industry has fillers available that may work for you. Check out your local body shop

RTV has silicone in it. Your paint will not stick to it. The silicone will also cause problems for any future painting projects.

My experience is you will never get anything to stick to RTV. the Autobody industry has fillers available that may work for you. Check out your local body shop

I know about RTV, that's why I said "RTV-like"...:)

I was wondering if anyone had any specific products they had used, like the seam sealer mentioned.

Since the Jet Flex I'm using is water based, I don't know if the regular auto body stuff (seam sealer) is actually compatible.

Has anyone actually used a flexible product under Jet Flex? The good auto body supply store is quite a distance, I'll call them tomorrow...

Last edited:
3M

Heavy Duty Drip Check Sealer by 3M. It comes in a squeeze tube and is a great sealer for solvent and waterborne paints. Grey in color and is designed for seam edging before paint. It does shrink down when dry but works well. Not for big sealant fillets. Not sure of part # but should be able to google.

Bill,

What filler did you use with the cowling?
My pink cowling has lots of surface imperfections.
Thanks in advance.

Proseal

I did my interior with Jetflex Boeing grey. All sealing was done with Proseal, and all parts were primed with epoxy primer (green/zinc ) fluid resistant primer. You cant go wrong with Proseal, and it is available in short cure form,as well as thick vs. thin. I used 1422B1/2 which starts curing in less than one hour. if your shop is warm enough to paint Jetflex, its warm enough for Proseal. I work in the heavy jet overhaul business, and this is the same process we use there..My interior is very durable, but you will find the Jetflex will wear thin in any areas that are handholds, ect. I use a small foam roller to do "touch up" work and it blends well.

Back