What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GMA240 volume control

MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a Garmin panel with a GMA240 intercom.
Since new I have had an issue with the c0/pilot side having low volume on ATC calls. The intercom can be adjusted and the music can be adjusted but I do not see how to adjust ATC calls from right to left.
The wife doesn't care much so I have never addressed the issue but with a BFR the CFI wasn't happy not being able to hear ATC.

Does anyone know how to turn up the volume?

Mark, not sure I'm interpreting your problem correctly, but the most obvious thing that jumps out at me is that the right-hand small knob must be pulled out to adjust the music volume, but pushed in to adjust the intercom volume. So, I guess my question is, have you tried pushing the knob in and trying it then?

EDIT: Ok, on second reading, I think I understand your problem: have you tried turning your radio volume up and then turn the volume down on the pilot's headset? This should lower the volume on the pilot side and increase the volume on the copilot side, I think.

Last edited:
My 240 was like that too, and my 245 is still like that. I do have a Bose A20 on the LH side and a Zulu 2 (now 3) on the RH side. My workaround is to turn up the volume sliders on the Zulu box to full and half on the Bose and then it's okay.

Pat's suggestion re: pulling/not pulling the RH AP volume: that volume control only seems to change overall volume, and does nothing for the differential of intercom vs. radio volume, although why my trick with the headset volume sliders works I don't know.

Heinrich

I have a Garmin panel with a GMA240 intercom.
Since new I have had an issue with the c0/pilot side having low volume on ATC calls. The intercom can be adjusted and the music can be adjusted but I do not see how to adjust ATC calls from right to left.
The wife doesn't care much so I have never addressed the issue but with a BFR the CFI wasn't happy not being able to hear ATC.

Does anyone know how to turn up the volume?

Hello Mark,

The radio volume knobs on your radios controls the volume of the COM and NAV radios, not any adjustments on the GMA 240 audio panel.

Pilot and copilot each have their own intercom volume knobs (very handy), so it is easy for each to adjust the intercom volume, but that has no affect on the radio volume. They each also have their own intercom squelch knobs.

Have you tuned ATIS (radio RX squelch open all the time) and then plugged the pilot headset into the pilot side and then the copilot side? You should hear the same radio volume, but different intercom volumes when you speak into the intercom unless both intercom volume knobs are set the same.

If one headset has the same radio volume on both sides, then everything is normal and you just have two headsets that need different volume settings, otherwise you may have a wiring problem.

If everything is normal in the above test, start with the headset volume knobs all the way up on both headsets. Set the radio volume so it is at a good level for the pilot. Ask the copilot if the radio volume is loud enough. If not, turn the radio volume up until the copilot is happy and turn down the pilot headset volume until the pilot is happy. As mentioned previously, each can use their intercom volume knob to set the intercom volume to a comfortable level after the headset volume changes are done.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks guys,
I have been compensating by turning my headset volume down but it still seems to be an issue.
I will do a little more trouble shooting by trying my headset in both outputs.
The music and intercom don't seem to be a problem, only the radio.

Back