What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Earth X battery output code to efis

rvdave

Well Known Member
I have posted this to advanced flight systems forum but will also post here. On a recent flight the Earthx battery outputted a flashing code to efis input but was unable to interpret the flashes maybe due to filtering or some incompatibility? with efis input. Efis displays ?battery fault? but the erratic flashing doesn?t coincide with a logical sequence. I know I can simply hook up an led but am trying to use efis input. Anyone observe this or experience a solution?

If you download the earthX manual, it provides a decode table for a particular fault based on the number of flashes on and off over a number of seconds

Cheers

If you download the earthX manual, it provides a decode table for a particular fault based on the number of flashes on and off over a number of seconds

Cheers

Yes I do realize that, the problem is the efis input does not directly correlate the flashes to screen indication with the error. For example there was not a pattern of flash although the indication ?battery error? came on, then off for a few seconds then on after 10 seconds or so and repeated irregularly.

RVdave, I experience the same thing you do with my G3X for overtemp conditions. I too am wondering about your question.

Led

I had the same confusion on my G3x so ended up disabling the discrete and am just using an led on panel.

I have mine set up to a latching alarm in my Dynon and to an LED on the panel. The Dynon makes sure I do not miss the alarm and the LED allows me to decode. I have one for each battery. Both are joined through a diode to a single alarm in the EFIS.

display_log.php

The EarthX batteries provide a discrete output for each pulse, which is a ground signal (active low). However, EarthX batteries 100 series, such as the ETX 900, only have three indications - slow flashing (five seconds on, five seconds off), short flashing 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off) or on solid.

If you have it connected to a discrete input, then the fault indication on the EFIS should come on or off and repeat until the fault clears per the table.

To understand the fault, you need to compare battery voltage against slow, short flashing or on solid.

But either way, it's just a discrete input and should work as if it were pulsing an LED light.

I've tested this on my G3X and it indicates correctly. BTW, there is a fault LED on the battery itself, so if you're testing, you can compare what the battery LED is indicating vs the EFIS.

Back