What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just completed outstanding fuel-injection system class

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
I am right at the point that I need to pull the trigger to purchase an engine. The Lycoming Thunderbolt division is putting out engines again, and if they offer comparable Vans and SnF purchase specials, I will likely make the jump.

So, Thunderbolt offers the IO-390 with one of two fuel injection systems standard; Airflow Performance or the AvStar systems.

The Airflow operation is at the Spartanburg Downtown Airport (KSPA), SC - at a hangar on the field.

Don Rivera and wife Colleen run the show - very informal, very well organized and presented. Don obviously has his finger on the pulse regarding fuel injection and airflow, and what is happening in relation to fuel burning engines - and can explain it so that the mysteries make sense.

Just so happened that Airflow was offering a two-day seminar this last weekend that goes into much more detail than I could absorb (because I no nothing about fuel injection systems). Done through class presentation time and some lab bench test demonstration time, hands on. The class was limited to 8 persons, included two home-spun dinner meals, two lunches, and coffee/danish style morning starters. There were attendees from New Hampshire, Portland Oregon, Atlanta, three from southern Georgia and SC, and me (from 16 miles away in Simpsonville, SC). A very comprehensive installation and service manual was provided as a take-home handout, covering the details of Airflow's fuel injection systems.

I highly recommend the class for the novice that knows nothing. Attendees that were there that did already know something, were also very complimentary about the course. I enjoyed it very much and came away better for having attended it. But as we have all figured out, the more you get introduced to, the more you realize that you have so much more to understand and learn - now more confused, but at a higher level.

Last edited:
Jeff,

It a great class and I am glad we got to meet. Once I finish phase 1, I'll give you a ring and plan a flight up your way.

I just had the pleasure of speaking with Don about changing from the firewall mounted Dukes pump to the AFP arrangement. He is not only knowledgeable and a very good teacher, he seemed genuinely happy to spend time and explain why and how this would benefit me in the long run. We even discussed the idea of a webinar to bring this knowledge to more folks that can't travel to His home field for the class. I'm not tech savvy but he seemed open to the idea if anyone has the skills to help put it together.

Back