What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Push Rod - Dumb question

Drippy

Well Known Member
Guys,

I am trying to attach my aileron and need to set the to neutral. The directions state that I shouldn't have to remove the push rod, but when I turn the push rod the threads on one end get disappear at the same time the thread on the other side expand - meaning I don't appear to be making any change to the length of the push rod.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to tighten a jam nut or something?

Thanks

Drippy
Wings attached "thanks again guys!"

One end has to be free. If both ends are anchored it does as you're saying, e.g., overall length won't change
Hint: Make sure the Elevator is in neutral (in-trail) position while adjusting the ailerons.

ok I am not as dumb as I feel

thanks guys,

I was thinking I had messed something up.

Thanks

Any one find that the autopilot servo limits motion of the right Alerion? I figure I have to pull out the servo book to see what is wrong.

Drippy

Be careful with control linkages!

I would suggest that you take care here, control linkages are important! For example, make sure each rod end is screwed in more than half-way, so that in the unlikely event of the rod turning later while the aircraft is in service, it would not be possible for one rod-end to fall out. I know of one instance where this actually happened to someone in flight and they lost their elevator...terrifying. Fortunately they were able to land with only elevator-trim and throttle.

Personally, on my plane, just for my peace of mind, I remade a few rods to make sure that I have almost full engagement of the threads for both ends.

Some things are more important than others, and IMO control linkages are high on the list!

Thanks

agreed I will be sure to be careful. Adjusting the left side should be easy and I reviewed the servo install instructions and will go take a look today to see what I messed up.

Not as easy to work on the plane once it moves to the airport . . . :)

Back