What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready to wire questions

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Finally,,,,,, the cabin top and doors are done. Im beginning to pull wire and harnesses. Any issues running the Garmin servo harness with the magnetometer harness, and master solenoid wire, tied together and in the same conduit to the tail. Any EMI. Also, how do you run wires through the tail bulkheads. Do you drill holes with bushings or?

Can't speak to EMI, but I generally keot my power and signal/data wires separated by running power wires up the left side of the fuse and signal/data up the right and did not mix the 2 in proximity.

As for the tailcone I used the same Van's conduit I used under the baggage floor and in the wings,

32078476732_68b0f4acd8_b.jpg

I don't see any issue with running the Garmin servo lines with the Magnetometer lines. Both wires should be shielded of course. I kept the battery wires separate of the low signal wires. I ran the strobe wires with the battery wires and kept those away from the small signal wires. I also kept the coax for the comm and xponder together in a separate run. I did not drill any additional holes to run the wires, I used the existing holes and adel clamps as required.

I'll pile on my response. I kept data and power circuits in different conduit runs. You can see how I ran the conduit on mykitlog site.

Yet another point of view. With shielded wires, properly grounded on one end, I have never had a problem with all wires in the same conduit. After the first few minutes, the battery cable carries very little current because the alternator is putting out what the bus needs. The antenna cables are RG400 which is very well shielded. If you want to separate that's fine, but i don't think it is required.

Sometimes I use plastic engine on the lightening holes to go through the bulkheads in the tail and sometimes I drill out one of the tooling holes for snap bushings. I only use conduit where I can't get, like under the rear seats and baggage floor. I use snap bushings everywhere else.

Not sure if this is the respectable method but here's what I'm doing.

I bought a ton of those little white plastic square tiewrap bases. I used Acetone and removed the factory adhesive tape from them. I'm going to make a template... well take a piece of cardboard with a square matching the dimensions of the base cut out. Use that to sand off the areas I'm attaching these and use a fancy 2 part 3M adhesive product to secure them.

I'm going to attach these every 6 inches or so on the sides above the first stringer. Don't want to crawl over wires if I have to climb back there so keeping them to the sides. Where I go through the bulkheads I'm going through existing lightening holes and putting caterpillar grommet edging around any I go through.

Tail forward I have 6 conduits, 3 each side and will split power and data wire accordingly.

Back