What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opening the top engine cowling

Guys

I am now installing the engine cowlings, and everything is going fine.
(Well, except that the Van's manual say you have to drill the fiberglass edges to the cowling hinges in a distance of 5/16" from the outside edge, and I'm glad I only made 2 holes and checked, and in the smallest bootom hinges, because I had drilled the hinge eylets... They should had put 5/8" instead of 5/16)

So, everything is going fine but I couldn't find any indication in the manual which tell us how is the procedure to open the top cowl, when the installation is complete.

Therefore, please forgive the dumb question but: how do you open the top cowl in a RV-10? Or more specifically, how do you get out the pins of the upper hinges of the top cowl?

Regards
Carlos

This should be in the plans. At the top, aft, part of the cowling you cut a slot about 1" long. Each pin has a small (1/8") 90 degree bend at the end. You can grab that with pliers, and pull the pins out (they bend enough over 1" to come out). In flight the slot is covered, the small bends captured, by a cover piece.

Thank you Bob

That small slot is in fact in the plans, which is covered with 2 small aluminium parts that come with the kit, but the plans only explain that is to retain the pins.
I also thought of that should be where you grab the pins to pull them off but, not only that is not explained in the plans, but also they tell you to gall the last thread of the 2 screws to prevent them from coming out of the nutplates.

So, how is that? Do you have to unscrew those 2 screws before pulling out the pins?

Look carefully at the screws and the way they are threaded. The screws are quite long. As you unscrew them, the cover plate goes down. When it gets lower than the cowling pins, stop. You can now pull the pins out, over the top of the now recessed cover plate. If you were to continue to unscrew the screws, they will eventually disengage, unless stopped by the galled threads. I suggest you do not gall the threads until all work (like painting) is finished, so you can completely disassemble this piece if desired.

Back