What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

transponder & pitot-static check

Yes and yes. At least, my DAR wanted them done before he showed up. You don't need a shop necessarily, but you do need someone with the right equipment.

Yes and yes. At least, my DAR wanted them done before he showed up. You don't need a shop necessarily, but you do need someone with the right equipment.

As long as that "someone" is a FAA certified repair station.

The below is copied/pasted from the FAQ section of my website for VFR requirements:

The aircraft transponder must be certified every 24 months in accordance with the requirements of CFR. 91.413. Transponder testing is accomplished in accordance with Part 43 Appendix F.

Note: For new certifications or if the encoder or altimeter has been replaced, a Data Correspondence Check must be accomplished to ensure the altitude data transmitted to ATC corresponds to within 125 feet of the altimeter normally used to maintain flight altitude per CFR 91.217.

The DAR that did my inspection did not require a transponder/static check prior to his inspection. Pitot check is not required. I did not fly in airspace that required a transponder until after I completed phase I and could get the plane to a shop to accomplish the checks.

My FAA inspector did not ask or care. I can't see why a DAR would require this. Transponders are only required in certain airspace, not all. There is a rule requiring a transponder to be used if installed, but I believe that only applies if the transponder is functional and that would imply a certification. No certification should equal no requirement to use it.

Larry

My DAR just checked that my ELT was outputting, but I wasn't flying anywhere where I needed the transponder. However I was able to check it on the ground prior to first flight. I waited until out of phase 1 to have my pitot static certified by a repair shop. As far as I know that's only required before any IFR flight.

Transponder certification is a flight requirement. Not a certification requirement.
If I sign off an aircraft that is located within airspace that requires transponder, I remind them of the requirement, but it is NOT a requirement for certification of the aircraft.

My DAR just checked that my ELT was outputting, but I wasn't flying anywhere where I needed the transponder. However I was able to check it on the ground prior to first flight. I waited until out of phase 1 to have my pitot static certified by a repair shop. As far as I know that's only required before a?ny IFR flight.

The 24 month transponder rule IS required for VFR flight. (ref ? 91.413)

Another data point. The Reno FSDO requires pitot static check prior to their inspection. Dan from Reno

Hmmmm....they didn't for the inspection we had them do lat April Dan - they didn't ask. This was at Farias Wheel of course - way out in the hinterlands.

Another data point. The Reno FSDO requires pitot static check prior to their inspection. Dan from Reno

Then that is a personal requirement that a single person or that office has instituted, but there is no regulatory requirement for it.

Now that doesn't mean it is not a good idea.
It is easy enough for any builder to do and I highly recommend it.

The RV-12 final inspection portion of the construction manual outlines what to do.

Also true that the transponder check doesn't have to be done before certification or first flight as long as the airplane is not operating in airspace that requires it, but it should be placarded INOP and left in standby mode until the check has been made.

Back