What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best magnatometer Locaton in the -10

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
A question for the 10 folks: Where is the best location to place the Garmin GMU-22 magnatometer in the 10? Is there a sweet spot in the empennage, or is it safest to put it out on one of the wing tips? Garmin sells a bracket to install near the leading edge of the H.S.. Does this location work OK?

Well...

If you follow the Garmin directions, the best place to mount the GMU-22 is about ten feet outside the fuselage flying close formation...:D

Seriously, though, I am getting to that stage and have talked with Garmin several times. The mount that goes near the HS would be nice but the problem is the electric pitch trim servo is right there.

The wingtip would be good but the strobes are there.

The aft fuselage would be good but the pitch/yaw servos along with the huge battery cable is there.

Basically, what Garmin alluded to was to talk to people who were flying the system and see where they mounted it. After reading all I could find about it, I am planning on installing it on a small shelf between the longerons aft of the rear bulkhead, near the aft seatbelt cable mounts...of course then you have the seatbelt cables...

I placed mine per the Garmin suggestion in the aft section of the fuselage and had absolutely no RF interference from the trim servo. I purchased and used their mount.

I, and a lot of folks, have it in the tailcone attached to the top of the F-1008 frame (the frame immediately behind the rear seat-belt attach points) using the bracket sold by SteinAir. I've had absolutely no issues with it in this location even with the stock seat-belt hardware and my ELT antenna relatively close by.

I, and a lot of folks, have it in the tailcone attached to the top of the F-1008 frame (the frame immediately behind the rear seat-belt attach points) using the bracket sold by SteinAir. I've had absolutely no issues with it in this location even with the stock seat-belt hardware and my ELT antenna relatively close by.

Same here. Talk to SteinAir about it.

While I'm still building my RV-10, the research I did both here and with others including the G3X folks indicated the location most folks use is on a shelf in the tail cone behind the baggage bulkhead. However that location won't likely work for me as I have the blower fan for my air conditioner in that location. (Fan or other motors generate strong magnetic fields.) However I also found a number of RV-10 and other RV model owners who have had good success with the magnetometer mounted in the wingtip, so that's where I intend to mount mine. The only caution is to keep it toward the leading rather than trailing edge due to the steel pipe used as a counter weight in the aileron.
Stein also sells a bracket that works in the wing tip.

Hope this helps
Dave M.

Would you have a picture of how you mounted it on the F-1008?

This is the only one I could find quickly that had the magnetometer in it. It's not a great shot but hopefully you get the idea.

32078476732_68b0f4acd8_b.jpg

I've put them in the same place on multiple RV-10's (first bulkhead aft of the baggage bulkhead and they've always worked fine. I had the same concerns about the battery and autopilot servos being in close proximity, but they've never cause any interference.

Vic

Mounted it in the middle of the wing inside the wing tip. Works Great. I also have the AC in the baggage area.

Thanks!

Perfect. I built a small shelf between the longerons in that location. I think it will work out just fine. The GMU22 will be about 6" lower but in the same general area...

I've put them in the same place on multiple RV-10's (first bulkhead aft of the baggage bulkhead and they've always worked fine. I had the same concerns about the battery and autopilot servos being in close proximity, but they've never cause any interference.

Vic

It appears, from the pictures, that Todd mounted his on the second bulkhead aft of the baggage bulkhead (i.e. closer to the rear) and Jason mounted his on the first bulkhead aft of the baggage bulkhead. What does Stein recommend? are both bulkhead locations equally good?

Here's mine. No problems, even with the Aerosport NACA servo mounted in front of it. This is using the mounting bracket that Stein sells.

Notice I also added a "kicker" bracket. It felt like it could wobble fore/aft a bit without the extra support. It's solid with the kicker.

f6drgXMl.jpg

ixvQYdcl.jpg

qinSdUDl.jpg

Just had my -10 upgraded by Walt at EXPaircraft. I upgraded to LED strobes and landing lights and the magnetometer was installed in the wingtip. Works great.

Ditto here, Todd's location has worked fine for me. I worried about the seat belt attach hardware, but the calibration checks showed no interference.

I think the big take away here is, despite Garmin's rather strict install criteria, there are multiple install options for the RV-10 that will work. The caveat is everyone's build is different so what works for one might not for another, but at least if one location doesn't work all is not lost.

I think the big take away here is, despite Garmin's rather strict install criteria, there are multiple install options for the RV-10 that will work. The caveat is everyone's build is different so what works for one might not for another, but at least if one location doesn't work all is not lost.

Well said. I wanted to thank all for the info and input. I ordered a bracket from Stein today and will go for the upper bulkhead mount. That should get me the farthest from all planned metal/electronic possible interference.

Back