What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Tab range on 7A

sglynn

Well Known Member
What is the range of the elevator trim tab suppose to be on the 7A? I see the manual says 25-35 in the Maximum Up/Down column but is there just a max? Is there a minimum? The chart is blank for minimums. How many degrees do others get on their trim tab. Mine goes up 22 degrees and down 23 degrees for a total range of 45 degrees. In this case up means the trim tab moves up, not the nose of the airplane.

I'm getting close to first flight and double checking everything.

thanks

Look again. My memory says there was a spec for differential movement of the trim tab. More down travel (nose up) than up travel (nose down). Sorry i cant point you directly too it. Build was too long ago.

I had a similar question I sent to Van's Tech Support:
"I noticed in the manual that it states a range of 25-35 degrees. I have a Ray Allen electric trim system, and with full travel of the servo, I have 15 degrees nose down (tab up) and 28.4 degrees nose up (tab down) from the neutral position. I have set up the system exactly per the plan, and can't for the life of me see how it is possible to attain more throw without installing a shorter moment arm on the attachment tab."

I received the following response:
"That?s OK ? 40-45 deg is the most you can get with the elec. trim. Biasing it with more nose up trim as you have is the way to go, you will not need as much nose down travel."

I hope this helps.

Tom.
RV-7

electric trim range of motion

I had a similar question I sent to Van's Tech Support:
"I noticed in the manual that it states a range of 25-35 degrees. I have a Ray Allen electric trim system, and with full travel of the servo, I have 15 degrees nose down (tab up) and 28.4 degrees nose up (tab down) from the neutral position. I have set up the system exactly per the plan, and can't for the life of me see how it is possible to attain more throw without installing a shorter moment arm on the attachment tab."

I received the following response:
"That?s OK ? 40-45 deg is the most you can get with the elec. trim. Biasing it with more nose up trim as you have is the way to go, you will not need as much nose down travel."

I hope this helps.

Tom.
RV-7

Excellent, thanks for sharing Van's reply.

Back