What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540EXP 10:1 Compression

raabs

Well Known Member
Hi All -

Lurker for a while here and first time posting. I'm looking into an RV-10 FS that owner indicates has a IO-540-EXP, 10:1 compression, 280 HP.

What are the ramifications of a 10:1 compression engine regarding reliability, TBO, other issues, etc?

I'm kinda green so any insight is appreciated.

Rob Kelly
Clermont, FL

Hi All -

Lurker for a while here and first time posting. I'm looking into an RV-10 FS that owner indicates has a IO-540-EXP, 10:1 compression, 280 HP.

What are the ramifications of a 10:1 compression engine regarding reliability, TBO, other issues, etc?

I'm kinda green so any insight is appreciated.

Rob Kelly
Clermont, FL

I have an IO-540 built by Performance Aero Engines. I was told by them that there are many 540's certified in helicopters with 10:1 pistons that have the same TBO as the lower compression engines. That set my mind more at ease on keeping the 10:1's.

I've attached a link to a kitplanes magazine article. There's a small section on compression that you may find of interest.
Something not mentioned in the article is that one of the negatives of going with increased compression is the accessory case gears take a bit more of a beating and are more likely to have to be replaced at overhaul.

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/33_11/builder_spotlight/Engine-Theory-Better-Engine_21673-1.html

That was an interesting read, thanks for sharing?

Mine are 9.5:1 in my RV-10.

Other than perhaps a little more effort to keep CHT in line, I have seen no problem.

I have 500 hours on the engine so far.

I do get extra knot or two .

Back