What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

filling underneath cabin top

falcon900guy

Well Known Member
i think we have the cabin top fitted and ready to start drilling the holes to connect to fuselage. have been looking at different builders process underneath the cabin top preparation and have a couple questions. i'm putting in o/h console and headliner, so what is purpose of filling in low spots on top if it's going to be covered? also why would the top need to be primed underneath if it's going to be covered?

kenny

Sounds good but make sure you prep. the area the OH console will bond to (as in sanding).I filled and painted the OH console as I found too much fabric didn't look as good as a mix of painted and fabric.

i think we have the cabin top fitted and ready to start drilling the holes to connect to fuselage. have been looking at different builders process underneath the cabin top preparation and have a couple questions. i'm putting in o/h console and headliner, so what is purpose of filling in low spots on top if it's going to be covered? also why would the top need to be primed underneath if it's going to be covered?

kenny

I just answered your pm. Short answer, if it's covered, don't sand it smooth. Just ensure that you sand the area in which you are going to adhere the carbon fiber to to the fiberglass.

I recommend sanding and finishing everywhere except under the O/H console.
Knock all high spots down and rough sand entire area. Fill all low spots with body filler blend in O/H mainly from the large step forward. Sand smooth. Then vacuum and clean with acetone or lacquer thinner. Tape off O/H Then get some duratec spray filler and put 2 heavy coats on sand and repeat. It should be about ready for a could normal primer coat and finish prep. Then paint entire O/H console as desired inside and get it all completed and any wiring before attaching. This takes a lot of elbow grease get a DA sander if possible. The results will be well worth your hard work at the end.
Duratec is a sprayable polyester body filler. It works really good. You can spray it with a 50-60 dollar gun you get at Harbour Freight. get as large of tip as possible. 1.8 or larger

FWIW
Geoff

Clearly the answer depends on whether you are just building an airplane, or a work of art, or somewhere in between. Do what you want, this isn't structural (except make sure the overhead won't come down!).

The low spots and especially high spots will show (unless you're tuck'n rollin'). As will rough corners. The green tops had rougher corners behind the doors. You will probably work that area some to make your console fit pretty. If you are glueing the headliner, some sort of seal coating will make the glue adhere better. In this shot you can see the VOR radiator strips. They are thin copper tape with a clear coat of pox and they show through 1/8 inch padded vinyl.

ok, after spending a couple hours looking at build logs, i now understand what i have to do filling in low spots etc. wow, i have a ton of work on the cabin and doors but its all worth it

Back