What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire Labels other than Heatshrink

Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
I have several wire labels that I would like to re-do. I use a label maker with the heat shrink tube labels. Any ideas of how to re-label wires without removing the connectors in order to fit another label on the wire? Will the regular label maker adhesive labels hold up?

Print labels with computer printer.
Wrap wire with several layers of tape to make it fat.
Slide large size clear heat shrink over terminal and over fat taped wire.
Slide label under clear heat shrink and apply heat.

I have several wire labels that I would like to re-do. I use a label maker with the heat shrink tube labels. Any ideas of how to re-label wires without removing the connectors in order to fit another label on the wire? Will the regular label maker adhesive labels hold up?

Some label printers have a "Flag" mode, the idea being that you fold the label around the wire at midpoint so it hangs off the wire like a flag. The text is repeated on both sides of the flag. If your printer doesn't do this automatically you can type each label twice with some space in between for the fold, or live with one blank side. This is what I used back in 2012 with the basic white tape that came with the printer and never saw one start to peel or move, even on the 24ga wires. After a decade or two you'll also find that the big text on regular tape is not impossible to read without a microscope, unlike heatshrink...

Back