VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 PM

Default Technique

Whew, unlucky but also lucky and well-saved by the crew. That tyoe of event is not one I've encountered in any emergency training. Is there anything specific you did to manage the situation, other than shutting down quickly and keeping it straight? The impact noise alone would be shocking, I imagine.
O-320 FP
Flying the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 11-26-2019, 09:55 AM

So unfortunate. Hope the integrity of the airframe isnít compromised and you can commence with repairs.

On a bright note, some guys in my area go years without getting their buck during deer season. Here you didnít even need a rifle!

Just make sure after repairs are completed you paint a deer silhouette on the side of the fuse for your first kill. Four more and your an ace!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:14 AM

Default Training, instinct, and luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
Whew, unlucky but also lucky and well-saved by the crew. That tyoe of event is not one I've encountered in any emergency training. Is there anything specific you did to manage the situation, other than shutting down quickly and keeping it straight? The impact noise alone would be shocking, I imagine.
Paul,

The actual event was over in seconds and my recollection in hindsight may not reflect the actual sequence. I will eventually get the SD cards from the Garmin and look at the data to get the output of some of the recorded parameters.

First off, I am an experienced pilot with just under 18,000 hours of which a couple thousand is in light GA. I am current in transport category aircraft and regularly train in full motion simulators, which helps develop good procedures and techniques that no doubt helped.

As I said earlier, the initial impact was like a very intense V1 cut (loss of engine on takeoff) for a twin-engine aircraft. That's where the training and instinct kicked in. I only had just over 10 hours of tailwheel time and the endorsement, done in a Super Decathlon. But hours are just numbers, it was the muscle memory of "keeping it straight" and getting it stopped. Never gave up...stick with it, otherwise I am sure I would have become a passenger on the way to an excursion.

Timing is everything...yes it was bad timing that caused the impact, but it could have been much worse. Had we had more kinetic energy, had hit it while making a wheel landing , or if we had executed a go-around (never saw it in time for this option) and hit the gear or prop, it could have been much worse. Any of those scenarios could have left us inverted with a ruptured fuel tank.
2019 Dues Paid
Old 11-26-2019, 11:32 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8safe View Post

Timing is everything...yes it was bad timing that caused the impact, but it could have been much worse. Had we had more kinetic energy, had hit it while making a wheel landing , or if we had executed a go-around (never saw it in time for this option) and hit the gear or prop, it could have been much worse. Any of those scenarios could have left us inverted with a ruptured fuel tank.
An even worse scenario would have been if the buck had spooked....jumped...and landed in the canopy........
Old 11-26-2019, 09:55 PM

What are the legalities of harvesting the deerly departed?
2020 dues slightly overpaid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."