What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator travel more than max

andrewtac

Well Known Member
Doing my conditional on my 8 I bought last year. Max up/down travel in the plans indicate 30/25. I put a protractor on it eyeballing it and measure 25 up and almost 30 down. My IA is going to bring a digital level to measure when he comes back. What if the down travel is more than indicated in the plans? Problem?

Yes after your deflection measurements are confirmed, it would warrant a close look.
Drawing 27A, top right corner & cross section G-G, check if F-811D elevator down stop had not been installed, or if was, was over trimmed. Also re-rig elevator linkage and check all geometry is right, when adjusting that linkage remember that auto pilot linkage will also have to be readjusted.
While you are checking this out, check that elevator Up stop is within parameters.
Why worry? In normal flight probably no concern, but stated max deflections probably dictate max permissible deflection loading. I would also be concerned with possible linkage adjustment lengths and thread engagement of the rod end bearings.

Thanks, I will check everything. The linkage has torque check on everything; it looks like nothing has moved.

If adjustment is unchanged, and neutral elevator is neutral stick, then the stops at the elevator horn were never set correctly.

Back