What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tech-Advanced IO-360

iaw4

Well Known Member
Let's assume that I have preferences for the comforts of more modern engine technology, but I want to stick to the Lycoming, also for its reliability. I don't necessarily want to stress the engine more. The base performance seems alright. but I hate the prayer ritual when starting engines, the fact that I cannot use Premium (Ethanol) gas (sparing my neighbors the lead coming out of our 100LL), carburator (really?) heat, and other nuisances. [The Rotax 915iS engine is a beauty, but probably not suitable for use in an RV-6 or RV-7. It is also too limited at 141 HP and more expensive than Lycoming, too.]

I have seen various Lycoming enhancements, individually:

* electronic ignition (keep some mags, though!)
* electronic injection
* fuel injection
* exhaust enhancements
* turbo normalizers
* fuel STCs
* does FADEC exist?

Would you recommend some good vendor who shares my general preferences here, and offers an experimental Lycoming with good improvements? Perhaps with extended lifetimes to make up for the extra cost? I did not see enhancements on Vans website. They seem to prefer going stock...as usual. not to blame them. my preferences are half "cosmetic."

If this is too controversial a topic, please email me instead. I do not know if I am stirring up a hornets nest. advice appreciated.

/iaw

Burning 91E10 (premium grade auto fuel with ethanol) is easy. Several of us here are doing it now, myself included (520 hours and counting).

For the rest, check out SDS or System32, both are frequent contributors on this board.

Why rule out Titan by Continental Motors ?

Titan engines Include;

Modern Nickel + Carbide barrel wall surface.
Steel thrust face crankcase
"Stroker" higher displacement options (or not) and piston compression ratio options
Many options for ignition and fuel delivery.
Dynamically and statically balanced rotating assembly.
Light magnesium oil sump
Many other unique improvements.

Burning 91E10 (premium grade auto fuel with ethanol) is easy. Several of us here are doing it now, myself included (520 hours and counting).

For the rest, check out SDS or System32, both are frequent contributors on this board.

Uhmmm...all stc for lycomngs that I have seen forbid ethanol 10% premium fuel, the only kind sold in gas stations in CA. Is there one that at least does not explicitly prohibit it?

Uhmmm...all stc for lycomngs that I have seen forbid ethanol 10% premium fuel, the only kind sold in gas stations in CA. Is there one that at least does not explicitly prohibit it?

There is a reason for this... 1, it's a Liability Cover their A thing. 2, A corporate greed thing 3, Lazy Idius thing..

So, the Liability is due to #2 and #3.
The lazy Idus is due to #2
Don't need to explain Corp Greed.

Long story short Lyc doesn't want to spend the time nor money to test e10 fuels thus forced to forbid due to Liability due to its own greed and laziness.

It will work[do a search for what possible modifications are needed], but the PIC assumes the risk if there is any [death/dismemberment/etc] associated with unproven[scientific all aspect highly[subjective] planned out tests] fuels.

Last edited:

It can be done, if you're willing to learn and take it upon yourself to do it correctly and assume the liability for your own actions.

If you want to just write a check and wave some magic paper at the airplane and everything "just works", then no, it can't be done.

It can be done, if you're willing to learn and take it upon yourself to do it correctly and assume the liability for your own actions.

If you want to just write a check and wave some magic paper at the airplane and everything "just works", then no, it can't be done.

Can you share an educational source with us, or is this heuristics, opinion and exploration?

Can you share an educational source with us, or is this heuristics, opinion and exploration?

No, I can't share a source. It is very much a matter of extensive reading (this forum is an excellent source, let the search engine be your friend) and self-education about the combustion process, ignition timing requirements, fuel specifications, material compatibilities, hydraulically correct fuel system design, a little thermochemistry, and the willingness to stick your own skin in the game.

You will have to cease expectations of someone holding your hand with an STC and saying "It will be OK". You'll have to do the research, the modifications, the testing, and the operation on your own.

But, if you're willing to do that, yes it can be done. Several of us here on this forum (myself included) are doing it today.

Back