What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator close out riveting

I?m working on an RV-14 empennage kit and step 2 of the left elevator inboard close-out on page 09-21 says to rivet the E-921 Gusset to the E-00907-1L Rear Spar with AN470AD4-4 rivets. I was able to secure the lower rivet, but the upper rivet is blocked by a knuckle of the trim tab hinge. I can?t lift the
E-00901A Skin high enough to rivet from the back side. I?ve looked at using a pulled rivet but again I don?t have access straight at the rivet. I?ve tried to go at it offset a bit, but the pulled rivet won?t seat against the Rear Spar. I don?t have a way to drill it out if I make a mistake so I?m a bit reluctant to literally & figuratively pull the trigger. Any suggestions?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

198huh.jpg

One thing I've learned is not to be afraid to modify tools. I know it's hard to take a perfectly good tool and grind it up....but to me the finish of the aircraft is much more important than the finish of the tool

I’m currently stuck on this rivet. The picture didn’t survive the TinyPicacalypse.
Tried an offset set then a blind rivet, had to drill both out.
Open to suggestions

If memory serves, for the top rivets, use a flat set in your rivet gun with the manufactured head on the outside. You should be able to get a 5" bucking bar in from the trim motor area and hold it there by feel as you use the rivet gun on the outside.

Attachments

• GussetRivets.jpeg
    GussetRivets.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 122
Back