What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting outboard bottom wing skin RV-10 QB

flybill7

Well Known Member
I'm helping a friend with his RV-10 QB. We are approaching the point of riveting the outboard bottom wing skin. The skin (and ribs) are all match-drilled, deburred, dimpled and edge-smoothed.

The plans/instructions don't really give advice on the best way to do this other than do the center of the skin first, then proceed outboard and inboard. Does anyone have a more specific guidance on how to rivet the outboard bottom wing skin on?

Find a small person with long arms to help. Patience. Be prepared for your arms looking like you might be a cutter. Patience. Watch the areas where the skin is pulled up so you don't make a smiley. Patience. Always cleco one more hole down than you are working to keep the skin flat for the rivet gun. Patience.

A wing stand is a big plus, we made one in about 30 minutes from some 2x4's, cost about $30. It only has to last through this phase.

If you have a kid helping they will learn a few new swear words that day :D

Roll the skin back and tie it with string through 1 or 2 of the outboard rivet holes. Then proceed one section at a time, working out and readjusting the string to lower the skin as each section is completed.

I tried it with the wing stretched across 2 work benches horizontally, and with the wing in a wing stand/cradle. I didn't find a lot of difference, but ended up preferring doing the work with the wing in a cradle with the leading edge pointed towards the floor.

Long arms do help, along with long sleeve shirts to provide some level of protection to the skin of the person bucking the rivets. Hopefully by this point you have practice bucking rivets strictly by feel, as that is what you will be doing for the most part. Take your time and you'll get it done.

Best of luck

The plans/instructions don't really give advice on the best way to do this other than do the center of the skin first, then proceed outboard and inboard. Does anyone have a more specific guidance on how to rivet the outboard bottom wing skin on?

My instructions were pretty clear and different from this. It's been a few months, but I remember doing the inboard two sections from leadin to trailing edge (or vice versa), then the remaining ribs working outboard. Definately didn't start in middle and work out in two directions.

Lot's of scratches on the arms, but was able to do the whole thing myself witout trouble (save a couple of rivets) following the plans guidance.

Larry

Back