What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit Rails/Longerons

MColman

I got a little bit ahead of myself and accidentally dimpled (in the cockpit rail) and machine countersunk (the upper longeron), the two holes marked on the plans as "do not rivet", near the aft end of the cockpit rail. It looks like these two holes are common with the canopy track, and thus do not get flush riveted.

Has anyone else done this, or does anyone have any suggestions? Of course I'll call Van's next week and admit my 'narrowsightedness'..

Cockpit%20Rail%20-%20Plans.jpg

No Problem.....

You are correct, canopy rail will ride over top of these and thru bolt.... build on!

Those get drilled for screws so I doubt it’s a problem. If it is you can adjust the screw positions slightly.

Last edited:
Cockpit rails

I just did this yesterday. The holes that you marked are drilled out for 3/4? screws to attach the Canopy Slide Rails. These are slightly longer than the other Canopy slide rail attach screws due to them ending up being drilled through the longeron. The other bolts only go through the F-816 and don?t need to be as long. They didn?t need to be dimpled or countersunk. The head of the screw ends up being a stop for travel of the roller on the canopy frame.

In case anyone is curious, as I'm sure I'm not the first or last to make this mistake.. Van's tech support replied saying that dimpling and countersinking these holes is not a problem - build on.

Back