VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Kooshball Kooshball is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Default Tailwheel Training in Central NC?

At some point in the next 6-18 months I will buy an RV6 or RV7 and I would like to start planning my training accordingly. I am a glider and ASEL private pilot and will need a tailwheel endorsement as well as transition training. I am under the impression that the more time the better from a safety and insurance perspective so I am not in a hurry but donít mind starting the training now.

Are there any tailwheel instructors in the NC area that would teach in an RV? Iím guessing not, and if thatís the case is there a preferred plane to use for tailwheel training that is most similar to an RV?

Thx and Iím looking forward to the journey!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-23-2018, 05:00 PM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,819
Default

Welcome to VAF.

Check out http://acrodynamics.org/.

They have given a number of friends their tailwheel endorsement.
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2018, 06:00 AM
fixnflyguy fixnflyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, N.C.
Posts: 951
Default Mikey Mathews

As Bill R. said..Acro Dynamics,based at Lake Norman Airport. Mikey is the guy there. He has done several RV guys, and has a wealth of knowledge in TW and Acro. Can't go wrong.. Where in central NC are you? I am based at 8A7 just south of INT. 5 RV's based here and quite a few in the area.
__________________
Bill E.
RV-4/N76WE
8A7 / Advance NC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2018, 08:22 PM
Kooshball Kooshball is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
As Bill R. said..Acro Dynamics,based at Lake Norman Airport. Mikey is the guy there. He has done several RV guys, and has a wealth of knowledge in TW and Acro. Can't go wrong.. Where in central NC are you? I am based at 8A7 just south of INT. 5 RV's based here and quite a few in the area.
Thx for the info; that outfit looks great!

Iím just S of RDU at NC81. I will definitely get up with the local eaa chapter but wanted to post here as well.

Thx
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-25-2018, 09:45 AM
pjc's Avatar
pjc pjc is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 35
Default

David,
I travelled this path recently (from PPSEL,G without TW experience to safe but still learning RV-6 driver). You are on the right track seeking training and taking your time. The posts below summarize my experience and suggestions. Donít hesitate to get A TW checkout in a more trainer-like plane (Cub, Champ, Citibria, etc) and then transition to the RV. Worked well for me (YMMV).

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...1&postcount=24

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...6&postcount=14

Sorry I canít help with suggestions for instruction in NC, but Jan Bussell in Florida has earned great recommendations. I used Bruce Bohannon near Houston (excellent). Others will provide suggestions no doubt.

Be safe, I predict youíre going to have a lot of fun!!
Peter


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
At some point in the next 6-18 months I will buy an RV6 or RV7 and I would like to start planning my training accordingly. I am a glider and ASEL private pilot and will need a tailwheel endorsement as well as transition training. I am under the impression that the more time the better from a safety and insurance perspective so I am not in a hurry but donít mind starting the training now.

Are there any tailwheel instructors in the NC area that would teach in an RV? Iím guessing not, and if thatís the case is there a preferred plane to use for tailwheel training that is most similar to an RV?

Thx and Iím looking forward to the journey!
__________________
RV6 N42HC flying
2019 Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-26-2018, 05:47 AM
n6233u n6233u is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Finger, NC
Posts: 8
Default

+1 for Mikey Matthews & Acrodynamics

Get as much tailwheel practice as you can, you can never get enough tailwheel time.
__________________
-Jim Pantas
Building: RV-7
Flying: Hatz CB-1
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-26-2018, 06:36 AM
noelf noelf is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cary, N.C.
Posts: 1,080
Default

Have you attended any of the EAA Chapter 1114 meetings? They meet the third Saturday of each month at Cox Field (NC81) for a pancake breakfast and program. The chapter has many instructors and some teach in TW aircraft.

There are also TW instructors at Raleigh Executive Jetport (KTTA), but I don't know of any that have a LODA and instruct in their own RV aircraft.
__________________
Noel
RV-6A N6NF
tip-up
flying
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2018, 09:13 AM
Kooshball Kooshball is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf View Post
Have you attended any of the EAA Chapter 1114 meetings? They meet the third Saturday of each month at Cox Field (NC81) for a pancake breakfast and program. The chapter has many instructors and some teach in TW aircraft.

There are also TW instructors at Raleigh Executive Jetport (KTTA), but I don't know of any that have a LODA and instruct in their own RV aircraft.
Yes, many years ago but I will get plugged in again for sure...it is always nice to go the local route.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.