What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Training in Central NC?

Kooshball

Well Known Member
At some point in the next 6-18 months I will buy an RV6 or RV7 and I would like to start planning my training accordingly. I am a glider and ASEL private pilot and will need a tailwheel endorsement as well as transition training. I am under the impression that the more time the better from a safety and insurance perspective so I am not in a hurry but don?t mind starting the training now.

Are there any tailwheel instructors in the NC area that would teach in an RV? I?m guessing not, and if that?s the case is there a preferred plane to use for tailwheel training that is most similar to an RV?

Thx and I?m looking forward to the journey!

Mikey Mathews

As Bill R. said..Acro Dynamics,based at Lake Norman Airport. Mikey is the guy there. He has done several RV guys, and has a wealth of knowledge in TW and Acro. Can't go wrong.. Where in central NC are you? I am based at 8A7 just south of INT. 5 RV's based here and quite a few in the area.

As Bill R. said..Acro Dynamics,based at Lake Norman Airport. Mikey is the guy there. He has done several RV guys, and has a wealth of knowledge in TW and Acro. Can't go wrong.. Where in central NC are you? I am based at 8A7 just south of INT. 5 RV's based here and quite a few in the area.

Thx for the info; that outfit looks great!

I?m just S of RDU at NC81. I will definitely get up with the local eaa chapter but wanted to post here as well.

Thx

David,
I travelled this path recently (from PPSEL,G without TW experience to safe but still learning RV-6 driver). You are on the right track seeking training and taking your time. The posts below summarize my experience and suggestions. Don?t hesitate to get A TW checkout in a more trainer-like plane (Cub, Champ, Citibria, etc) and then transition to the RV. Worked well for me (YMMV).

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1309801&postcount=24

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1306416&postcount=14

Sorry I can?t help with suggestions for instruction in NC, but Jan Bussell in Florida has earned great recommendations. I used Bruce Bohannon near Houston (excellent). Others will provide suggestions no doubt.

Be safe, I predict you?re going to have a lot of fun!!
Peter

At some point in the next 6-18 months I will buy an RV6 or RV7 and I would like to start planning my training accordingly. I am a glider and ASEL private pilot and will need a tailwheel endorsement as well as transition training. I am under the impression that the more time the better from a safety and insurance perspective so I am not in a hurry but don?t mind starting the training now.

Are there any tailwheel instructors in the NC area that would teach in an RV? I?m guessing not, and if that?s the case is there a preferred plane to use for tailwheel training that is most similar to an RV?

Thx and I?m looking forward to the journey!

+1 for Mikey Matthews & Acrodynamics

Get as much tailwheel practice as you can, you can never get enough tailwheel time.

Have you attended any of the EAA Chapter 1114 meetings? They meet the third Saturday of each month at Cox Field (NC81) for a pancake breakfast and program. The chapter has many instructors and some teach in TW aircraft.

There are also TW instructors at Raleigh Executive Jetport (KTTA), but I don't know of any that have a LODA and instruct in their own RV aircraft.

Have you attended any of the EAA Chapter 1114 meetings? They meet the third Saturday of each month at Cox Field (NC81) for a pancake breakfast and program. The chapter has many instructors and some teach in TW aircraft.

There are also TW instructors at Raleigh Executive Jetport (KTTA), but I don't know of any that have a LODA and instruct in their own RV aircraft.

Yes, many years ago but I will get plugged in again for sure...it is always nice to go the local route.

Back