What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anyone installed a locker in a 6, 7 or 9?

JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
After attending my first fly-in with my RV7, I think it would be nice to have the ability to lock up a few valuables (2-Bose A20's and an iPad). The RV8's have a lock on the front baggage compartment door but I was wondering if anyone had the ability to lock things up in a side by side RV.

I ruled out a canopy lock because anyone who has fitted a canopy on an RV will understand that a thief can have all the valuables as long as they don't damage the canopy in the process.

I have a canopy cover but why take your plane to a fly-in for people to see if you're going to cover it up.

I have a few ideas for a lock box in the baggage area but I thought I'd ask the VAF group for ideas first.

Any ideas?

Not a lock box, but classic aero design sells a cover for the baggage area that is nice looking and would keep your valuables out of sight.
Erich

I ruled out a canopy lock because anyone who has fitted a canopy on an RV will understand that a thief can have all the valuables as long as they don't damage the canopy in the process.

I doubt that any thief will break your canopy during the fly-in to get your valuables. They might do it when there is no body around.

Area behind seat backs

I never made them but I did have pictures at one time of the triangle area directly behind the seats. The design was boxes connected to the floors with hinges. You tilted the seat backs forward to put items into the lockers. Plenty of room for headsets, GPS, iPads, extra oil. I actually mounted the half hinges in the floors during building so at a later date I could make the lockers. Hope this makes some since, and gives you an idea. I'm sure someone has these in their plane and can provide a picture.

Van published my lock box design in the 2005 2nd issue of the RVator. It is reprinted in the book "27 Years of the RVator".

Jake,

Here's what I did to add a bit to the baggage area:

This shelf is just behind the normal "baggage bulkhead." I split the baggage bulkhead and put a hinge on it so that the top part drops forward and down when I unlatch it. I did not put a lock on mine (just used a couple "elephant ears" camlocks), but it would be relatively easy to do. I keep a couple of down coats and an extra headset and a few other light items in there.

I can't take credit for the invention - saw it here somewhere but can no longer find that thread.

Greg

Greg

Anyone got a copy of this ?
Ask and ye shall recieve... :D

8627187046_f4546dbba2.jpg

8627189960_ca64e7fdd1.jpg

8626078137_a248d3924c.jpg

8626078799_ea44c2a048.jpg

8626079457_df3ac40602.jpg

And another one I found, in the wing tips...Credit to Curt Bryan for the design and the Van for the text.
8627191260_4cd8ef00e1.jpg

8626082325_5a266f68e6.jpg

Last edited:
Since I'm building a -6, my fuselage kit came with the older battery box to mount between the pedals. I didn't use it since I went the RV-7 firewall battery route. This leftover battery box has a lid and would make a great lockbox for the baggage compartment. Screw it to the floor and use one of the baggage locks that came with my ignition switch. Won't cost anything since I already have the parts. Could also be a great place to keep tools and oil. If the corners are pro-sealed, it would also prevent a mess from a leaking oil bottle.

Heck, now I just gave myself another project...haha.

Sure do...

miss the RVator paper issues coming in the mail box. That was always an exciting day when I could nab the RVator and just leave the bills in the mail box. :D

Last edited:
Back