What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a ride!

MikeyDale

Well Known Member
Hello, I have been lurking on this site for some time. Paid dues a week ago so I plan on staying a while.) I am seriously considering starting a slow build 9 or 7. I have considered a flying RV (cheaper!) and looked at partial built projects, (save years and money!) but I always come back to wanting the experience of building the whole thing my way and dreaming of an airplane that I can call 100% mine! I have always enjoyed building things and look forward to the building as much or more than the flying! I have a perfect place to build, PP license, a flying plane (lightsport homebuilt somebody else built) and I can afford it, so whats holding me back you ask? I need to ride in a RV! I've never heard anything but good things about flying a RV but I cant take that final step without a ride. I live in West Texas between Midland and San Angelo and I'm willing to travel. I'm willing to buy gas or lunch, no I'll buy gas and lunch!..... And I promise, 5 or 10 years from now, I'll give anyone that comes along that is interested in a RV, a ride in mine!

Welcome to the World's finest RV site, Mike.

You have just made a $75,000 + commitment:)

One you'll really enjoy.

Best,

Mickey,
Welcome to a wonderful site with hundreds of great guys eager to help you on your quest to own or build one of the finest aircraft that most of us have been associated with.
The RV does most thing excellent, and yes every aircraft is a compromise. I have been in aviation my whole life and I can not think of too many aircraft that have all the excellent qualities that an RV has.
While two seat is limited if you have a family of 4 or more, statistics show most private Aircraft only carry one or two folks so the RV fits that area. The RV is fast enough you can go places and you can have some fun flying it.

Again, welcome
Smilin' Jack

I will add this. I have given many demo rides in our RV6A because it is just a lot of fun. So far I have sold 5 kits that are now flying. My friend Eddy, who has built 2 kits, says I give the perfect $30,000.00 demo ride. You won't go wrong with any RV.

First RV ride

Beware, EVERYONE I have given their first ride in an RV has bought or built their own. I warn them ahead of time, "Bring your check book" Once you fly one you gotta have one!!!

Beware, EVERYONE I have given their first ride in an RV has bought or built their own. I warn them ahead of time, "Bring your check book" Once you fly one you gotta have one!!!

x100 on this. I'm currently purchasing a flying 7A. I have the desire to build one one day when life slows down, but right now I don't have the requisite time (or space). But that ride... getting back in the 172 was painfull!! Don't get me wrong, I love everything aviation - I'll fly a cardboard box if I could get it in the air, but once you experience an RV, nothings else (at least anything else that I could come close to affording) comes close.

Thanks Walt! Actually I will be in Ft Worth Thursday thru Sunday this week for the Nascar Races. I will probably give you a call soon. Thanks again, Mike

I have inspired two wanna be pilots to get their ticket. One came back after his first RV ride and was asking very detailed questions about sealing up the tanks. My guess was that he had been reading VAF. Fish ON.

Thanks to Walt at EXP Aircraft Services ExpAircraft.com for a wonder ride in his beautiful RV7A! I'm sold! :)

Now I need a ride

I am a long time lurker, and have even bought tools to begin a build. The issue I need to resolve now is my size, as I am 6'4" and need to verify I will fit before spending the dough. So...

I am in the Seattle area, and am specifically looking at the 7/7A, would like to get a ride around the area just to verify that I can ride in one of these. I can meet most anytime anywhere with enough notice. And, if you are reading this from Las Vegas, I will be there Sunday through Tuesday. And of course I am good for my half of the fuel bill, and beers after.

Thanks a bunch,

Dave
[email protected]

i got a feeling mikeydale will unload that lightsport in a heartbeat and buy a rv if he gets a ride in one. then he can build and fly a rv for ever. thats what it sounds like to me. now, who is gona give him a ride of a life time? must be a load of rvs in texas. ;)
img0783jo.jpg

Also 6'4"

I am a long time lurker, and have even bought tools to begin a build. The issue I need to resolve now is my size, as I am 6'4" and need to verify I will fit before spending the dough. So...

I am in the Seattle area, and am specifically looking at the 7/7A, would like to get a ride around the area just to verify that I can ride in one of these. I can meet most anytime anywhere with enough notice. And, if you are reading this from Las Vegas, I will be there Sunday through Tuesday. And of course I am good for my half of the fuel bill, and beers after.

Thanks a bunch,

Dave
[email protected]

If you make it to Southern California (KAJO) you're welcome to a ride but I'm sure you'll find someone close to home.

I'm also 6'4" (240#) and my first ride in an RV7 was disappointing. It turned out that the builder had extended the instrument panel down 2" to make more room for avionics. The larger panel along with the rudder pedals being mounted rearward, pinned my legs under the panel. Luckily several RVers back at the airport pointed out what could be done to maximize the cockpit for guys our size. I'm very pleased with my plane but if I were making the decision to build today I would probably go with the RV-14

...or consider the tall/big guy seat back mod in a -7?

I'd have to sit in one before I pulled the trigger, but there must be a lot of guys doing the seatback/bulkhead mod from Anti-Splat aero.
I think it'd solve many of the issues, except perhaps legroom?

KPWT based

Thanks a bunch,

Dave
[email protected]

Dave - sent you an email. I'm across the water from you and willing to give you ride in my 6A if interested. I haven't flown in 7/7A so maybe those that have can give comparison but I think cockpit size is about the same.

Thanks a bunch,

Dave
[email protected]

Dave,

I fly an RV-7 out of Arlington (KAWO). I would be happy to give you a demo flight. It will cost you about $70,000 - fair warning. Let me know when you want to take a ride and we'll set it up.

Remember that Van designed the Rv's for a pilot of his size. I believe he is also 6'4" tall. A lot of builders, being shorter, move the rudder pedals back so that they are easier to reach. This can always be adjusted with a little under the panel work and TLC.

Does anyone around Boston/NH have a rv-7? I am getting ready to pull the trigger but have yet to see the plane! I am an airline pilot by day and would be happy bidding an overnight just to touch and smell the plane. A ride would even be better!

Thanks,

Bill

Does anyone around Boston/NH have a rv-7? I am getting ready to pull the trigger but have yet to see the plane! I am an airline pilot by day and would be happy bidding an overnight just to touch and smell the plane. A ride would even be better!

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I have one (RV7) at SWF. I'm pretty busy at work until Easter, so if you could wait that long or if something opens up sooner I'll shoot you a note. Send your email or cell #.

Jim

Back