What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 HS Spar Part Num?

Jimd

Well Known Member
Can someone with more recent plans than mine tell me if the horizontal stab front and rear spar part numbers have changed?

I punch in the number I have HS-1002 and HS-1003 in Vans order page and get nothing.

Must be a different number by now? Is the 10 HS spar longer than anything else in the fleet? I can imagine even the 14 is as long as the 10 HS.

Edit: I did find a snapshot of the plans page that show a 2013 year and the part number is still 1002 and 1003, unless there was a change in the last five years. Guess ill have to give them a call Monday...

(I have decided to rebuild the HS because i have found too many issues with the one that I got with the "started" kit I bought)

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Josh,

Thanks for checking the part numbers for me! Im on the north side of Des Moines, my RV6 is based at Ankeny.

Jim

I had to replace that spar on mine (it is a bad place to learn how to countersink...).

For me the shipping costs vastly outstripped the cost of the new part. It came in a custom-built 12' long super skinny crate.

Chris,

Is this a place where you have to cs the spar to accept the dimples of the skin? Did you make the dimples too big?

The spar i am replacing had the nine hole in the center cs so large that they fit a number 4 cs rivet perfectly. Probably a bit more than needed for the -3 dimple of the skins.

I figured the crate and ship charges were going to be huge.

Jim

Maybe move on to the elevators and tail cone and have them ship the HS rear spar with the wing kit if that hasn't been ordered yet? I bet you'll save a bundle....

Dave

Is this a place where you have to cs the spar to accept the dimples of the skin? Did you make the dimples too big?

Yes. I made the countersunk holes too big (the dimples on the skin were fine). My countersink bit chattered as I used it, and it made huge countersinks just when I didn't want it to. On the last hole at the end of the spar, which I figured needed to be just right as there weren't rivets on both sides to support the oops. So I just redid it from scratch.

Chris

Maybe move on to the elevators and tail cone and have them ship the HS rear spar with the wing kit if that hasn't been ordered yet? I bet you'll save a bundle....

Dave

+1 on this. S/H on some of this stuff is crazy, combine when you can. You can skip around a good bit on the build and come back to other components.

Back