What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for advice for flying into Santa Barbara

JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
I'm attending a business meeting at the Bacara Resort in Goleta, CA on Saturday, January 10th. I'm looking for advice as to where to park my RV7 at Santa Barbara (KSBA) for the day as well as my best options for ground transportation to the Bacra Resort.

Is there anyone familiar with Santa Barbara with some advice for me?

Thanks!

The FBO on the southeast corner, don't rememebr the name. Cheapest ramp/security fees. Read up on noise abatement and if you're approaching from the north be prepared to get slam dunked, especially staying above the condor wildlife areas. Keep an eye on the weather too. The fog/low over cast has a mind of its own.

CMA vice SBA

I fly into Camarillo (CMA), park and rent a cheap Hertz rental at Western Cardinal. No ramp fees. Haven't checked in a while, but a couple years ago the parking fees at SBA were outrageous.

Signature has crew cars. You do have to buy some of their super expensive gas. Call first to make sure one will be there for you.

I fly there regularly (learned to fly there, in fact) I've used both Atlantic (south of the main terminal, east side of the field) and Signature (northeast corner). Have found Atlantic's service to be a bit better, which is to say they'll meet you with a golf cart, get you tied down and give you a ride to their facility. At Signature I've always been on my own. Fuel prices at both are the same, which is to say outrageous. As are SBA's overnight fees. Sure is convenient though. I fly to visit family so no experience with ground transportation, but Uber serves the area and is an option.

In the unlikely event you get coastal fog in January, don't forget that a special VFR departure can be an option. I've sat on the ground there many times, with a 1200 foot ceiling and the mountains clearly visible with blue sky just to the north and behind them, waiting for it to burn off. Then one day the light came on and I asked for special VFR. Controllers can't offer it, but if you ask they are most helpful.

Back