What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall Pilot

Steve Allen

I'm New Here
I'm looking at building a 7A and I'm curious if I'll fit. I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall. Anyone else that height building or flying a 7A? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm 6'3" and it's not a problem. Haven't found an RV yet I couldn't fit in, and with the 7 when you install the rudder pedals you'll drill multiple pairs of mounting holes if you so choose to move them fore and aft. Haven't seen it, but antisplat's "almost a 14" kit supposedly increases the room quite a bit. Or you can just build a 14 instead.

Tall pilot

You will be tight in there. I'm 6'3" and 195#. I had a 7A and for cross country, I would take my shoes off and then feet under the pedals, slump a little. Headsets would hit the canopy glass. But took some long trips like that and did fine.
I have a 10 now and much roomier, not near as much fun to fly though. If I didn't need the seats, I would prefer the 7A again.

John Koonce
N78MU

Recommend you do a "search" on the forum. Lots of discussion over the years. And check out the "almost a -14 mod" from antisplat aero. Makes a big difference.

Also, height is made up of two parts: legs and torso. So it depends. :rolleyes:

No Problem

I have an RV-7 (same seating as a -7A). I am 6' 3-1/2" plus I have short legs for someone of my height (32" inseam). I fly mine with the just the Classic Aero Aviator seat cushion (no boosters) - and I have more than adequate headroom. I also have the seat back in the most aft hinge position and have plenty of leg room to the rudder pedals although the rudder pedals are in the most forward position.

FWIW.

I'm 6'2" 225 and put the "almost a 14" mod on my plane, 7A. It's a very simple mod that makes a huge difference in comfort.

Dale

And FYI the "almost-a-14" mod works with the slider canopy. Much more difficult to do with a tip-up.

I'm 6'4", and I have a 7 that I've been flying since earlier this year. I raised the canopy about 1/2" during the build and I have more than enough headroom (1.5" or so). I have the stock Classic Aero Designs Aviator seat bottoms with memory foam and I fly with the en-ear headsets, both of which help with the clearance.

Since you are considering the start of a new project I would recommend that you build the new RV14. It was designed for larger people and the kit advancements are nothing short of amazing. The nose gear is newer then with a RV7 which should be better as well.

There is lots of history on this conversation. Use the search function and you will find lots.
I am 6'-5", 250# and have no problem. I moved the pedals as far forward as they would go and installed the rear seat hinge 1" further back.
If I were to do the "Almost a 14 mod" it would be considered roomy.

Visit KAJO

I'm looking at building a 7A and I'm curious if I'll fit. I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall. Anyone else that height building or flying a 7A? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Steve,

I am 6'4", 240# and have a flying RV7 based at KAJO (Corona, CA). I made a few adjustments while building to accommodate my size and the airplane is cozy but very comfortable.

If you are going to be in the Corona area on a weekend, we can make arrangements to meet at the airport so you can try it on for size. I'm sure we can even arrange a little stick time.

Good luck,
Jake

Also did the almost 14 mod during the build. For me it was for comfort, and plenty of head room for the anticipated turbalance.

Not trying to derail the thread but how would the 7 compare to a 6 for a 6'3"er? Understand the seat pan is a little lower on the 6. Found the 7 very tight for head to canopy clearance.

I'm 6' 5 1/2", 190lbs (on a good day!) and fit my QB-9 beautifully. All I did was move the rudder pedals up to the longeron gusset, but it would have been fine per plans.

Steve,
I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm 5' 4" and was worried. Until I got in an RV7 for myself and saw the peddles and position of the stick, I was worried. Once I had the opportunity to sit in a -9A and a -7A all of my worries faded away. Actually, now that I think of it, that was my last check box item to cross off before I ordered my tail.

Not trying to derail the thread but how would the 7 compare to a 6 for a 6'3"er? Understand the seat pan is a little lower on the 6. Found the 7 very tight for head to canopy clearance.

Actually, the seat to canopy height is greater in the 7 than the 6 by a noticeable amount...the seat pan ribs are lower in the 7 (1.5"s statistically speakin).....so for us taller folks I like the cabin of the -7 slightly better, but also loved the 6's we've built as well. Either way you'll be happy!

Cheers,
Stein

And perhaps more important than the rib height is the cushion height. It is easy to reduce the thickness of the seat-bottom cushion to increase your head clearance.

And I never fail to recommend the "Almost a -14" mod from Anti-splat aero, who advertise on VAF. That mod creates space for "Bubbas" like me. :cool:

One Bubba's opinion, and YMMV, etc.

Gil and I have the same issue. I figured I could move the pedals aft, and the seat hinge on the floor forward, have Abby make a booster:eek: seat so I'd be comfortable. Once the fuse kit dot here, I clecoed alot of the forward cabin together to see what I was going to have to change to be able to fit in it. I dont see a bunch of stuff right now. I'll have to sneek down to the other hangar and jump in Ray's RV7A and really check it out!
Advantage of have 2 similar model planes under construction at the same time.
Tom

I'll have to clear out some parts and run that test myself too, Tom. I like the idea of reclining the seat more and figured the forward hinge position would help with that but that will require the appropriate pedal distance for my height (5' 8").

I've read others mention the ability to re-position their pedals and have been wondering how that affects pedal controls / cable tension.

I've read others mention the ability to re-position their pedals and have been wondering how that affects pedal controls / cable tension.

This is really not a problem (other than the huge pain of being under there to do it), because you typically attach the actual pedal mechanism to the actual rudder cables with little steel links. Some folks fabricate them with multiple holes in them so they can just change the "length", others will just keep a few sets of different length links around if they do decide to change them. The only caveat is to make sure you have full pedal throw before one of them hits the firewall.

While this is a task that can be done (need to have the variable holes in the longerons already drilled), it is not an easy, fun, or fast task. I say adjust them for your own size (while maybe thinking about some future adjustment), and let the next owner/pilot deal with it. You can easily ad blocks onto the pedals (in fact I think JD Air makes some nice bolt on pedal extensions) if you have some shorter pilots. It's much easier to do that then it is to move the pedals.

The RV8 is a different story, those can be made "adjustable" (manually) in a much easier way.

Cheers,
Stein

Back