What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum rivets on stainless firewall

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I notice a lot of AN rivets used on the firewall. Any concern for galvanic corrosion with doing this?

I am always concerned with dissimilar metal corrosion but I live on the Florida coast and see its devastating effects all the time, I used Tef Gel on these rivets. Corrosion Scares me as you can see.

I wet set mine with 3m fire barrier 2000+, but at the end of the day, there a plenty of RV's built to spec with the stock riveting process. I just went that additional step because of corrosion I have seen on firewalls of other aircraft.
Tom.

Last edited:
Not an issue in this scenario

I will give you my opinion (based on knowledge and experience). I have spent over 40 years in the aircraft industry, most of it specializing in structures and corrosion control. The use of AD rivets and 300 series CRES steel will not yield galvanic problems in our application. If you want to take an extra measure, you can swab the holes with primer before installation. Also , the rivets are anodized which is a corrosion protection. Ironically, aluminum rivets installed in carbon graphite components is an aviation No-No, and will generate corrosion!

Galvanic corrosion requires the presence of an electrolyte (water). That fine mist of oil in the engine area is a feature!

I guess it all boils down to how many centuries you want your plane to last. A decade is starting to be optimistic for my needs...

Firewall rivets

Many production aircraft have aluminum rivets in the firewall. Have seen some firewall rivets that were not aluminum which were riveted to the aluminum structure behind the firewall. This is not a problem area even on the La coast. Apply a little Corrosion X and monitor

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back