What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GDL82 with external source

Jesse

Well Known Member
I helped troubleshoot an installation of a GDL82 in a Bonanza today. It is wired to a GNS530W. The manual says how to wire it and it is wired correctly, but it doesn?t say how to configure the 530 for serial data in and out and the computer program said it wasn?t receiving data. We changed the serial port to GDL88 and it started working. Does anybody have a clue why this would be the case and why that wouldn?t be in the manual?

On a side note, when connecting to a GTN, the manual says to set it as ADSB+ Format 1, and its only a serial transmit from the GTN, and no receive.

The GDL-82 manual says set the RS232 output for GNS-5XXW to ADSB TFC and must be S/W version 5.3 or later.

Does Garmin sell a GDL 82 kit without the WAAS GPS Antenna for use with an approved panel mount location source (GNS430W). Why buy the antenna unless you need it?

I helped troubleshoot an installation of a GDL82 in a Bonanza today. It is wired to a GNS530W. The manual says how to wire it and it is wired correctly, but it doesn?t say how to configure the 530 for serial data in and out and the computer program said it wasn?t receiving data. We changed the serial port to GDL88 and it started working. Does anybody have a clue why this would be the case and why that wouldn?t be in the manual?

On a side note, when connecting to a GTN, the manual says to set it as ADSB+ Format 1, and its only a serial transmit from the GTN, and no receive.

Jesse,

Page 39 of the GDL 82 STC Installation Manual, 190-01810-10, Rev. 1 is quite clear about how to configure the RS-232 port on Garmin GTN 6XX/7XX series navigator, GNS 400W/500W series navigator, and GNS 480 navigator.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Steve

I asked Garmin that very question. I predict there will soon be a flood of GA 35 antennas for sale on eBay, including mine.

Table 3-1 in the Garmin GDL 82 installation manual shows part numbers for the non-GPS version, unit only kit, unit with connector kit, and just unit (010-1560-00, 010-1560-01 and 011-03946-00, respectively). But those part numbers, while listed, are not available. I called Garmin aviation support today and the call-back person said there was no such items and then went silent.

Meanwhile uAvionix has both "with" and "without" GPS source versions of their equivalent experimental UAT product. Which is one of the reasons why I put in the uAvionix Echo UAT in my RV-3B. Not only cheaper but also provides in. I have 4 more airplanes without ADS-B out and I think I could lean more towards the GDL 82 were the versions without GPS/SBAS and GA35 available.

Jim

Back