What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin SL-30 and Dynon Comm question

737cwby

I'm New Here
I'm having a new panel put in, almost all Dynon avionics (HDX, Dynon radio and intercom, etc). I'm toying with the idea of keeping my Garmin SL-30 for VOR/ILS usage (IFR cert), as well as for a secondary Comm radio. The Dynon intercom does NOT give the ability to have two Comm radios. Is there any way to wire the SL30 with a switch to make it usable as a second comm radio, yet leaving it available for NAV capability for the ILS/VOR signal to be sent to the HDX screen if it's not switched on as the primary Comm radio? I would like to be able to do this without retaining my Garmin 340 Intercom. Also, I will NOT have a GPS navigator, other than the Dynon GPS 2020 for enroute nav, but not GPS approaches.
Thanks for your inputs with this question!

Tom

Are you using the Dynon two place stereo intercom SV-intercom-2S. According to its specs it supports 2 radios.

Specifications

Muting Inputs:
1x stereo, differential, noise-rejecting music input, with panel-mounted music jack override.
1x mono input for additional muting source.
Non-muting Inputs:
1x stereo, differential, noise-rejecting EFIS input.
3x mono inputs for radios and other avionics.
One of these is fail-safed to the pilot headset.
Headsets:
2x stereo headsets supported.
Radio Outputs:
2x com radio outputs. External PTT selector required.
Dimensions:
3.5" (89.71mm) x 1.80" (45.72mm) x 4.18" (106.17mm)
Weight:
7.2 oz (204g)
Input Voltage:
10-30V DC
Power Usage:
0.1A at 14V

As the previous post said, you need to add one external switch to the panel, to switch the PTT line between radios.
You can run the nav audio to the Dynon intercom?s Aux input; or, internal to the SL30, direct nav audio to be mixed with com audio. The nav side is independent of the com side.
I have no idea what you meant by ?IFR cert??
I also don?t think the Dynon 2020 is approved for any ifr, enroute or other.

They no longer recommend using the Dynon Intercom for 2 COM radios. I would certainly keep your GMA340. You can make it all work with switches, but that is far from ideal, and you will need to also listen to the Nav frequency.

I also don’t think the Dynon 2020 is approved for any ifr, enroute or other.
You are correct, it isn't approved for any IFR navigation. The DYNON 2020 is approved only as an ADS-B position source for the DYNON transponder. It can also be used for VFR flying.

:cool:

Replace the Dynon intercom with a PS engineering PMA4000. Will take about the same place as the Dynon intercom and you will have all the audio switching capabilities that you need.

SL-30 and Skyview IFR

My dual Skyview and SL-30 has been doing fine for limited IFR for a number of years now. I'm finding now that more of the ILS approach plates have the nomenclature DME REQUIRED. I suspect this is because more VORs are going away.

Even if I wanted to pay for a DME, I'm not sure I could find one. My SL-30 sometimes displays distance to a VOR but I'm not sure that qualifies as DME.

I'm just about to install the Dynon/Trig remote transponder and GPS 2020 antenna supporting that which is approved.

Now, my SL-30, approved nav radio, is approved just fine for displaying ILS approach data on the Skyview display. So, is there any reason why I can't file /A since I have an approved GPS 2020 supplying distance info that is displayed on my Skyview? I know it there is the slant distance vs straight line but I accept that.

This makes sense to me, How about others?

My dual Skyview and SL-30 has been doing fine for limited IFR for a number of years now. I'm finding now that more of the ILS approach plates have the nomenclature DME REQUIRED. I suspect this is because more VORs are going away.

Even if I wanted to pay for a DME, I'm not sure I could find one. My SL-30 sometimes displays distance to a VOR but I'm not sure that qualifies as DME.

I'm just about to install the Dynon/Trig remote transponder and GPS 2020 antenna supporting that which is approved.

Now, my SL-30, approved nav radio, is approved just fine for displaying ILS approach data on the Skyview display. So, is there any reason why I can't file /A since I have an approved GPS 2020 supplying distance info that is displayed on my Skyview? I know it there is the slant distance vs straight line but I accept that.

This makes sense to me, How about others?
Technically, the 2020 gps is strictly VFR and is just a position source for your transponder. It certainly is not legal as an IFR Nav source, even if just using it for DME.

Also, the SL30, while a fine nav unit, cannot calculate distances, it is not a DME substitute. But it can display the bearing to a second VOR, so if you have an approach with a VOR cross fix a single SL30 is all you need.

Last edited:
Back