VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-02-2017, 12:09 PM

Default Need TSO'd Xponder?

I currently have an Ameriking AK-350 encoder feeding my ol' Kt 76a transponder. At certain altitudes it doesn't show up on radar, but move up or down 50 ft and it shows up again. My avionics guy tested the system and found both the encoder and transponder are working fine, and determined that the problem lies in the wiring between the two.

So...I am currently in a prolonged process of getting a used GRT HX efis into my 6a. Initially my plan was to use the encoder in the HX if I was going to have to replace wiring anyway. Talking to Steinair about getting wiring harnesses build for the whole thing, they informed me that the serial output of the HX and the Gray code input capability of the KT 76a wouldn't play together, so I had them price a new wiring harness for the original encoder/xponder setup. Since then, I found out the GRT will happily sell me a serial to Gray code converter, and Stein confirms they can wire that into a harness to connect the HX and the old transponder.

Before I pull the trigger, though, I thought I should tap the collective expertise here; I seem to recall seeing somewhere that we need to use TSO'd transponders and encoders in Canada, even in our amateur builts. If so, that would rule out using the encoder in the HX. Anyone have any information or experience on this? Thanks in advance, as always.
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Old 12-02-2017, 01:03 PM

I use the Dynon D100 and its serial-to-grey code converter in our flying airplane.

No hard and fast rule about TSO'd encoder - just needs to meet TSO requirements vis a vis altitude output. Lots of folks are using their EFIS devices as their encoder.

BTW I went with a Trig TT22 and TC20 control head for 2020 ADSB compliance. The TC20 control head for the transponder is also the encoder, so met the requirements quite easily and with minimal space required.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
I use the Dynon D100 and its serial-to-grey code converter in our flying airplane.

No hard and fast rule about TSO'd encoder - just needs to meet TSO requirements vis a vis altitude output. Lots of folks are using their EFIS devices as their encoder.

BTW I went with a Trig TT22 and TC20 control head for 2020 ADSB compliance. The TC20 control head for the transponder is also the encoder, so met the requirements quite easily and with minimal space required.

Perfect. Thanks!
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools