What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best oil analysis for the Rotax?

DaleB

Well Known Member
How many are having oil analysis done on their Rotax? Is there a consensus on one lab or another being the best, or are they pretty much all equal? I'm thinking about starting to have it done.

I have used Blackstone Labs for years and have been very satisfied. No charge for the kit and very quick response after they receive the sample. A side benefit is that you have an accurate record to present at time of sale of the aircraft. Really cheap insurance.

+1 for Blackstone. I started using them with the RV-12 and have used them with every airplane since. I like their report and the information it provides. Some other labs do not give as detailed a report.

Which kit?

for the rotax, do you order the aircraft kit or the gas/Diesel engine kit? Does it depend on what fuel you are burning?

Aircraft

There is an option for aircraft kits. There is a form that comes in the kit that allows you to tell them about your engine.

The two I hear owners talk about all the time is Avlabs and Blackstone. I kind of favor Avlabs for several reasons. This is part of good record keeping. Once a year after about 200 hrs. seems to be the average.

When ask what type of cylinders choose nickle.

Last edited:
Blackstone has always done the analysis on my car, and can't wait to add my airplane to the list!

Back