What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble finding DAR

Sdemeyer

Hi Guys/gals, Iv'e been patiently waiting/searching for a DAR to come look at my RV6A since August but so far I haven't even managed to get on someone's schedule. The DARs in my area seem to be extremely busy. I guess I will start looking for a DAR out of my area and would appreciate any leads on who might be available. I am in Olympia,WA .

Thanks,
Scott

I went thru a mess with that also, finding a GOOD one is also important. My success was finally contacting the local FSDO, they recommended an ex FAA employee that was doing them and had a good reputation. Worked like a charm, got a good one and got it done. He was several hundred miles away, but down here they all are a long ways away..

Found one

I found a DAR that was kind enough to travel here and inspect my RV6A. One hurdle down, one more to go..... the first flight.

VrghCQDGkrpnJb9Q2

I went thru a mess with that also, finding a GOOD one is also important. My success was finally contacting the local FSDO, they recommended an ex FAA employee that was doing them and had a good reputation. Worked like a charm, got a good one and got it done. He was several hundred miles away, but down here they all are a long ways away..

I somewhat disagree on that bit...:)

Separate the paperwork function from the inspection function.

Get the local FSDO/MIDO folks to come and give you paperwork and simply employ as many "inspectors" - local A&Ps, IAs, other builders, local RV gurus - as you want/need to inspect your workmanship and completeness. You don't have to rely on a single inspection, many will do just as well, if not better. Each "inspector" has their own favorite area of expertise.

I found the FAA to be friendly and willing, with Scottsdale having a less than 10 day delay for a 100 mile trip for my -6A. It probably saved me the equivalent of 100 gallons of 100LL as well. :)

PS I had a lot of trouble finding a DAR too, and the only Tucson listed guy want just shy of $1000. :eek:

Last edited:

Get the local FSDO/MIDO folks to come and give you paperwork and simply employ as many "inspectors" - local A&Ps, IAs, other builders, local RV gurus - as you want/need to inspect your workmanship and completeness. You don't have to rely on a single inspection, many will do just as well, if not better. Each "inspector" has their own favorite area of expertise.

I found the FAA to be friendly and willing, with Scottsdale having a less than 10 day delay for a 100 mile trip

PS I had a lot of trouble finding a DAR too, and the only Tucson listed guy want just shy of $1000. :eek:

Wow! Out here the OAK FSDO flat-out refused to do their job; they said "Hire a DAR". And yes, the going rate seems to be $1000.

Wow! Out here the OAK FSDO flat-out refused to do their job; they said "Hire a DAR". And yes, the going rate seems to be $1000.

Try calling the MIDO office directly, not the FSDO folks.... they can only say no again...:rolleyes:

I should have qualified my statement. The local MIDO refuses to even talk about an inspection - period. I had a friend at the FSDO who was compassionate to my build (had been to my house several times and loved the build), that is why I asked him for help, which he did.

Separate the paperwork function from the inspection function.

I found the FAA to be friendly and willing, with Scottsdale having a less than 10 day delay for a 100 mile trip for my -6A. It probably saved me the equivalent of 100 gallons of 100LL as well. :)

Maybe it's a California thing. I think you will find the "going rate" around North Texas is closer to the $500-$600 range.

Maybe I should take a closer look at my fee structure!

Last edited:
Back