What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D10A with Garmin 430 question

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
The dynon D10A offers a option to install their gps-251 antena and you will be able to receive wind calc on the screen (i guess tells you direction and speed). If i connect my 430 to the D10A you are able to have HSI.I was told it had to be one or the other Wind vector by the GPS-251 or HSI by the 430. But i heard from someone that if i connected my 430 it would be able to provide the HSI info to the D10a and would also do the wind vector. Has anyone ran into that issue? You can not run the Gps-251 and the 430. they do connect to the same pin on the D10a and it can't process both signal unless i install a HS34. I don't have the space nor want to spent another 700 for a minimal function.
Thanks

Rico,

The installation manual states that the 430/530 do not send time with the data but should work, otherwise.

Garmin
96, 96c, 150XL, 195, 196, 295,
296, 396, 400*, 420*, 430*,
430W*, 496, 500*, 520*,
530*, 530W*, GX60, GX65

* Do not output time over
serial; ARINC connection via
HS34 required to receive time.

According to the D10A pilot guide:

Winds aloft arrow:

Located in the lower right corner of the EFIS page, the winds aloft arrow indicates the wind direction relative to your current direction of flight. The number indicates the current absolute wind speed in the current airspeed units. If the EFIS-D10A cannot make an accurate winds aloft calculation, the arrow is not displayed and the numbers are replaced by dashes. The display of winds aloft requires an active GPS connection and an OAT probe. In very light winds, the wind speed number is not displayed, although the arrow is.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin Aera 660 connected to my D10A, and I get the winds aloft arrow. I also have the Dynon OAT probe.

I do have the temp probe also connected via the remote Compass EDC10, i guess this will do the same as your i think! so can you get HSI and wind aloft info? or one or the other?

Rico, I get both HSI and wind aloft info. HSI is a different screen, wind aloft is on the main EFIS screen. Hmm... Thinking about it, wind aloft may show on the HSI screen as well but I forget.

Back