What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing mounting question

lr172

Well Known Member
I test fitted the wings on a stand before the gear was on. I am wondering whether I will need to support the one wing after mounting, before the second wing goes on. It is now on the gear. It seems with the engine and prop on, it may have enough mass to keep from tipping much, but just don't know.

I just need to know if I need to bring a bunch of stuff to the temporary hanger (phase I is at a different airport than my home base) to deal with this.

Thanks for the help.

Larry

With it on the gear and engine mounted you will not need any extra support. It barely budges with the weight of one wing. I was surprised. With a couple of adjustable saw horses, wing install is simple.

With it on the gear and engine mounted you will not need any extra support. It barely budges with the weight of one wing. I was surprised. With a couple of adjustable saw horses, wing install is simple.

Yep, what he said.

I had the wing on and off 4 or 5 times, use pins made from regular hardware store bolts, only use the close tolerance bolts for final install.

Congrats on getting to this milestone.:D

Yep, what he said.

I had the wing on and off 4 or 5 times, use pins made from regular hardware store bolts, only use the close tolerance bolts for final install.

Congrats on getting to this milestone.:D

Thanks for the input. It's nice to get near the finish line. Hope to have first flight before mid-December.

Larry

I should try that. Last time we just had the two sons hold the wing while I managed control at the spar attach and slid the bolts home.

Larry

One saw horse, mid span, padding to prevent scratches on the wing lower skin.

One person on the wing tip maneuvering the wing, someone else to slide the pins in.

Back