What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Milling work needed...small job

istrumit

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

I need two small disks made from aluminum.

OD: 1-3/4"
ID: 7/8"
Thickness: 1/16"

These will be attached to the front gear fairing (RV-10) where the tow bar attaches so that the tow bar won't bash/scratch the fiberglass.

I had these before but they popped off in the cold...so I need couple more (and some better way to attach, lol).

If anyone out there has an idea where I could get these or if anyone has the ability to make them, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Scott

Use 3M 5200 as the adhesive next time... they will never ever ever come off. You can buy a small toothpaste tube size from Lowe?s for about $5.

You could easily make your own using two sizes of hole saws. Cut the big hole first, then cut the small hole in the disc. Holding onto it is a little tricky - maybe make some plywood plates to sandwich the disc.

You could easily make your own using two sizes of hole saws. Cut the big hole first, then cut the small hole in the disc. Holding onto it is a little tricky - maybe make some plywood plates to sandwich the disc.

I would cut the small hole first, then cut out the piece (big hole) while you have something to hold on to. Use a piece of wood under the aluminum to center the drill pilot.

-Marc

Double sided carpet tapes works great for this kind of stuff. Use a piece of plywood or flat board as the backer.

I would be happy to machine these Al parts for you. If you would like to PM or email me your contact and shipping information.
Ian

Double sided carpet tapes works great for this kind of stuff. Use a piece of plywood or flat board as the backer.

I'll see your carpet tape, and raise you some masking tape and superglue :). (thinner firmer stackup)

How well does a flat washer that size match the very slight curvature of the nosegear fairing?

I'm looking for just this solution, but want something that doesn't stand out as being a kludge.

Use VHB tape from 3M. It comes in various thicknesses. McMaster-Carr has it, and many other suppliers from Amazon. Just peel and stick permanently. Backing is squishy foam so it gives in various temps.
My aileron trim wedge is held on this way.

If I were making these washers with normal airplane builder tools, I would choose to fly cut the OD first and then come back with a step drill and enlarge the center hole from the fly cutter pilot. This works fine. I used some fly cut instrument panel cutouts as washers (for alternate project) in this exact manner.

Back