What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY seat upholstery

sparkcrafter

I?m in the process of upholstering the seats in my RV-6A. I?m using foam seats from Oregon Aero and after much trial and error, I think I have a handle on how to do most of the upholstery work. However, I?m struggling to find info on the best way to get the fabric to contour to the 3D shape of the foam. The three methods I?ve seen to get the fabric to pull tight to the foam?s contour are:

1) Glue the fabric to the foam.
2) Use a wire along each recessed edge. This wire is then pulled down into the foam with threads that go all the way through the foam and are tied in the back somehow.
3) Velcro is attached to the foam and cover to keep the fabric pulled down tight to the foam.

What method is being used by the professional shops to get their seat coverings to pull down into the contours of the seat foam? Anyone have any pictures of how it?s done?

Jerald

Look at this video

Hi,
I'm also in the process of covering my seats.
Had the same question initially and found this very informative video. I?ve probably view it 100 times.

I?ve used the same approach and it works well. I can post some pictures in couple days, but I like my results.

https://youtu.be/f24kj03oEmo

Good luck...

I have watched that video several times and my approach to making the seat covers follows closely to what they show. However, I would prefer not to glue the seat cover to the foam as they show in the video. I don?t believe companies like Flightline glue their covers to the seat foam, so I?m curious to know how they get the seat covers to follow the the foam contours.

Jerald

I bought then tore apart a set of pro leather seats that I got for my M2 - leather over foam (they needed a cleaning badly). All of the leather was spray adhesived (sp?) in the seat and back area to the foam (obviously custom stitched etc to fit the foam first).

Dont bypass what the pros do just because you think it ought to be "more trick" than that.......
-----------------
I just watched that video and I'd have to say thats got to be exactly how my seats were made.

Last edited:
Back