What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Screen black rather than blue & Brown

design4p

HI,

Building with a full suite of Garmin LRU's

I am building in a small garage and cannot fit the wings on to the fuselage. I wanted to check the CanBus and configure as much as possible before taking the the aircraft to the airfield (hours away). Therefore I made temporary jump leads on all wing to fuselage connections.

This worked well, however, my PFD is black instead of blue and brown (or synthetic).

I have not been able to configure the ADAHRS, Magnetometer and AOA as these require fully assembled aircraft at the airfield.

I am thinking that the reason for the black screen is because these are not configured. However, I would welcome any assistance/information as to the situation I have.

Regards John

That sounds right to me. Before I had all of my sensors (AHDHRS, Magnetometer, etc) connected and calibrated, it did not show synthetic vision on the screen. It was just a black background.

If you think about it, it doesn?t know if youre level, where you are, etc... so it has no idea how to render the screen. There is a way to turn off synthetic vision in the menus. I bet if you do that, it?ll give you the blue/brown (sky/ground) picture

G3X Screen black rather that blue & brown

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I did enable and disable the Synthetic vision and the screen stayed black.

Your assessment is logical - the system does not know where it is.

John

I did not build my panel (had Aerotronics build it) and have limited wiring knowledge, but I had the same question and desire about getting all I could done and checked in garage before moving to hangar. They gave me a temporary "work around" to complete some things before wings go on.

Evidently the CAN bus has to be terminated on both ends to complete the loop for all LRU's to communicate. Mine is terminated vai the pitch servo and roll servo. My pitch servo was installed in tail, but roll servo of course is in the wings. So, they had me put a 120 ohm resistor in the pins where roll servo pin #1 and #2 will go (CAN-H & CAN-L connections). Worked perfectly! Was able to do ADHRS calibration as well as Magnetometer calibration. I realize these will need to be redone once wings are on and plane is fully assembled, but gives me the synthetic vision and full function of everything else in my garage without wings.

As I said, I'm not a wiring expert. I only did what they told me to do regarding the 120 ohm resistor. So, not sure if your wiring is the same, but hopefully this will make some sense to you and provide a clue on how to get yours going now.

I did not build my panel (had Aerotronics build it) and have limited wiring knowledge, but I had the same question and desire about getting all I could done and checked in garage before moving to hangar. They gave me a temporary "work around" to complete some things before wings go on.

Evidently the CAN bus has to be terminated on both ends to complete the loop for all LRU's to communicate. Mine is terminated vai the pitch servo and roll servo. My pitch servo was installed in tail, but roll servo of course is in the wings. So, they had me put a 120 ohm resistor in the pins where roll servo pin #1 and #2 will go (CAN-H & CAN-L connections). Worked perfectly! Was able to do ADHRS calibration as well as Magnetometer calibration. I realize these will need to be redone once wings are on and plane is fully assembled, but gives me the synthetic vision and full function of everything else in my garage without wings.

As I said, I'm not a wiring expert. I only did what they told me to do regarding the 120 ohm resistor. So, not sure if your wiring is the same, but hopefully this will make some sense to you and provide a clue on how to get yours going now.

Garmin actually ships terminator connectors for your GSA servos. Basically you unplug the connector from your servo, and you plug this ?dummy? connector on the wire. It terminates the CANBUS. Makes it really easy.

Hi,

No OK - It was the fact that I needed to configure the ADHRS and as far as possible the Magnetometer.

Thank you for the assistance.

John

Back