What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Line Fuselage Exit

ethand

Well Known Member
Those of you using aftermarket lines how are you handling the fuel line exit from the fuselage side skin? The plans call for a grommet with the flexible line hanging off out the side but I would prefer to have a termination on the side skin.

Can I use an AN833-6D with a 6D washer on each side of the skin or is there some other trick to it?

Thanks
E

I don't see a great benefit of having a bulkhead fitting there. That just means 2 more places that could leak. If you are using flex lines, they can easily make the bend at the fuse side skin.

Here is what I did. Machined a couple of washers and used an AN 90 fitting. I also inserted a slight bend in the fuel line to take care of any movement.
IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

Most of our customers use a grommet. Some---with inverted fuel tanks use an AN833-6D, and a separate hose or tube to the tank.
Tom

I agree with Jesse and Tom.

I was an early customer of Tom's and one of my goals was to eliminate as many fittings as possible.

My left fuel line goes from the fuel selector all the way to the tank. I use grommets to support the fuel line wherever it passed through a bulkhead.

My right line does have a t at the tunnel wall to accommodate the return from the purge valve.

You do have to do some planning to minimize the number of fittings. You may need 45 or 90 fittings on the end of the line. The other issue is where you penetrate a wall to ensure you have appropriate turn radius for the lines as well.

My advice is to work with Tom. He'll take care of you.

bob

Thanks for the replies.

I have Tom's brake lines and will be doing the same for the fuel lines, just working on the layout now.

E

Adel

I don't seem to have a picture of it but I used the TS braided fuel line from the tank to the tunnel wall. I secured the line through the fuse skin with an adel clamp. Works good, no problems after 660+ hours.

Back