What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New option: Step "bullet" plugs for your RV-12/12iS

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We've put together a little kit with special "bullet" plugs that you can install in the open ends of the entry/exit step tubes on your RV-12, which will of course make it look completely awesome, potentially reduces pain involved with shin collisions, and probably adds something like 20 knots! Ok, well, at least two of those results is true.

The kit includes installation instructions and can be used for ELSA, SLSA or of course EAB applications. You can read the detailed service notification letter here.

Ordered as a kit of four plugs in your choice of white or black material with documentation from this link: https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?browse=new&product=12_STEP_PLUG_KIT

cat-med_12_STEP_PLUG_KIT.jpg
12-step-plugs.png

Last edited:
I was all set to order some, but if they're going to interfere with the lasers...

Pro tip....

They'd prevent head collisions, too, or at least soften the blow. Just ask the guy that sampled his fuel and got a chance meeting with the side of his forehead with one of those savage beasties. :eek:

Step Bullet

I had to replace the steps on my RV-12 because the builder chromed them, chrome makes them brittle, and one of them cracked. I had a friend weld it, but it broke the second time I stepped on it. So I ordered the new ones, a new design, which is stronger. After installing the new steps, I was told there were end caps for them so I called Van's and ordered them. I was surprised that they cost $10.00 each, $40.00 for a set, but while on the high side, it is not completely unreasonable. So I ordered a set and installed them on my airplane. I like the way they look and they do stop moisture from getting into the steps. So I recommend them.

I painted the new steps black to match the trim on my airplane so I orered the black plugs. They have both black and white.

I used parts like Bob Y. featured and found them at Lowe?s in their special hardware section. The area with all the drawers of various small parts. Don?t recall the price but pretty cheap.
And for what it?s worth I had my steps powder coated in 2012 and so far so good. Annually I give the steps and flaperon tubes a shot of corrosion protection spray.

I wish I had these about 2 months ago. I don't remember the exact event, but something was falling off the cowl (like a roll of tape or something).. and my initial reaction to catch it made the back of my hand scrape the side of the step. (i was sitting on the floor working on something).

It was by far the bloodiest incident in the hangar during the build. These things are definitely going in asap.

An alternative solution for the budget minded...

$1.88 at Lowe's. A side benefit of these semi-hard chair tips is that the ends are slightly larger than the tube and provide some tactile feedback (feeling) through your shoe indicating outside edges of the tube.

Steps_RV12_Dress%20Up-XL.jpg

Back