What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert old-style bent tailwheel to new type

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
Folks -
I have bought an RV6 project that dates from 1989. It has the old style bent tailwheel spring, and I would like to conv ert it to a new style swivel tail wheel. Can anyone tell me where I need to cut the spring? Also, what diameter do I need to turn (or shim) it to? Thanks in advance!

Sam Staton
Jacksonville, FL

If you order the conversion kit from Vans it has the drawings you need. I had to cut and turn mine down a bit but it's worth it.

I called Vans about this 2 months ago. They told me to cut spring and fit the new tail wheel assembly as required. I sent mine to a machine shop and had it machined for an API tail wheel kit. I asked the machine shop to cut as little as possible to make it fit and to use a tapper pin vice a standard AN bolt. If you plan on using a rocket link make sure you figure out a spring lenght that will suport the installation (most rocket links can be adjusted between 12 to 14 inches). I did not do that and I am having some difficulties in setting the correct rocket link length.

IMG_0324.JPG

Last edited:
Tailwheel Spring update

Just thought I would update the list on what I have found. First - thanks for the replies - lots of good data. Vince Frazier told me pretty much what everyone else has - just cut the end off before the curve, and turn to .635". I ordered the Van's conversion kit today. Will see what it looks like. Thanks again, guys!

giving an old thread new life.

Looking into the options for converting from the bent spring tailwheel. My first observation, if cutting the bent spring, it looks like most of the upgrades would effectively raise the tail of the aircraft 1 or 2 inches. Is this true? Anybody pay attention to that?

....edit...I just noticed this was in the rv6 forum. I have an rv4, but I'm guessing the parts are the same.

Last edited:
giving an old thread new life.

Looking into the options for converting from the bent spring tailwheel. My first observation, if cutting the bent spring, it looks like most of the upgrades would effectively raise the tail of the aircraft 1 or 2 inches. Is this true? Anybody pay attention to that?

....edit...I just noticed this was in the rv6 forum. I have an rv4, but I'm guessing the parts are the same.

My RV-6 was done by a machinist friend a few hangars away from me when I was building. He cut and machined as necessary to get the Aviation Products tail wheel to fit perfect. He did my RV-6 tail spring the same way he did a friends RV-4 before he did mine. Back when this was done, Van did not offer a full swivel tail wheel else I would have gone that way.

The Aviation Products tail wheel makes the tail on my RV-6 1.5" higher than the one Van's uses.

It does, but nobody complains about the extra visibility over the nose on the ground while taxiing.

I converted from the standard Van's tailwheel (non-bent stinger) to the Bell fork and gained about 1.5" in tail height. No noticeable change in landing or take-off attitudes or performance. But the increased view over the cowling was noticeable.

Just thought I would update the list on what I have found. First - thanks for the replies - lots of good data. Vince Frazier told me pretty much what everyone else has - just cut the end off before the curve, and turn to .635". I ordered the Van's conversion kit today. Will see what it looks like. Thanks again, guys!

Sam,
What is included in the conversion kit? I already have a stock Van's tailwheel assy, which I will be installing. Is there something additional in the conversion kit that I might require?
Thanks!

Mark,

Send me your email and I'll send you our tech tips for doing the job.

It's not complicated, but it's gonna take a bit of planning, and probably a few beers for your machinist.

Hardware is standard stuff. Misc. tailwheel bits, replacement parts, etc. can be found on our site, or from Van's or other suppliers.

Reply to [email protected] for fastest replies.

Back