What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empty weight on data plate?

kbehrent

Well Known Member
We just weighed our TeenFlight TF1 plane and it came in at 770 lbs. The plane is painted, deluxe interior and a single Skyview touch will all the bells and whistles.

I noticed that the ELSA data plate, that Van's provided, includes the empty weight. Is this required? Didn't have to do it for my 9A. Since so many people fly their planes before they paint, seems like everyone's empty weight is out-of-date no sooner than they print it. I wouldn't be too concerned, but we are considering adding a second Skyview touch which of course would change the weight some.

Empty Weight Not Required.

Only thing required on data plate is Make, Model, Serial Number.

Do NOT put anything else on the plate that is not required. The empty weight will change if you add new stuff. The correct one is on the weight & balance sheet that is supposed to be in the plane.

So I take it that majority are leaving EMPTY WT, MFG DATE, GROSS WT, ENGINE AND H.P. all blank?

I guess I don't see the harm in putting the Mfg Date, Gross WT, Engine and H.P. on because they will never change.

You never change a data plate when things change. The updated information is only reflected in the maintenance records.

Empty weight changes often on all aircraft, but the data plate only reflects the "original" weight.

So I take it that majority are leaving EMPTY WT, MFG DATE, GROSS WT, ENGINE AND H.P. all blank?

I guess I don't see the harm in putting the Mfg Date, Gross WT, Engine and H.P. on because they will never change.
Depends on how you get it done. I was paying by the letter, so.... nothing but the facts, ma'am.

It's been a fews years since I had to get my data plate engraved for my 9A done so I'll have to head to the trophy shop again to see what the cost will be.

Thanks for all the replies. Now that the plane is weighed, we are only waiting on the N Number confirmation so we can send off the paperwork. The kids are excited!

Back