What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

plexiglass drills

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
plans for installing canopy call for #30 and #27 plexiglass drill.
what did you use? i see 1/8'' but what is available in plexiglass for the #27?
thanks for any help

Plex drill

Think about using Dremel ball end burr for plex your holes. They have several sizes. No way for it to catch and crack like any twist drill. Used this method on two antique restorations and one RV.

They are different

Get drill bits designed for plexiglass. Their cut is different and you do not want to take a chance of cracking the plex!

Get drill bits designed for plexiglass. Their cut is different and you do not want to take a chance of cracking the plex!

The McMaster bits are good....and not too expensive! And remember to drill plexi when good and warm��

Last edited:
duh,
originally i went to avery's site and scrolled down to the 1/4'' size, then figured the numbered drills didn't exist so i didn't look any further. just placed an order. thanks

There is an old trick if you don't have a plex drill bit. Take a standard bit and run it into concrete to dull it before trying it on plex. Drill a few pieces of scrap with it to get comfortable with the process.

Most will just buy plex bits, but they are no guarantee against a crack, so practice on scrap with them too.

I found that my step drill worked great on the Plexi/Lexan and it leaves a nice little chamfer on the hole edge to boot. I had no problem with using a slightly larger diameter hole than specified -- the slightly larger hole gives you a bit more room for material expansion and construction tolerance. As noted above, practice on some scrap Plexi/Lexan to hone your technique and build your confidence.

I bought the set from Avery, but here is information for DIY.

Acrylic%252520Bit.jpg

Back