What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Engine Monitor

todehnal

Well Known Member
I'm not sure how long it has been this way, but I have a strange EGT display. The thermometers work great, but I am missing a digit in the left/right readout. My typical instrument scan during flight mostly consists of a verification that everything is in the green. That part is good, as the thermometers are right on, but as I began to read the actual numbers, I see a digit replaced by a period. Today, I was running with EGTs in the upper 1300s. The left EGT is correct, but the right EGT is missing the leading "1" such as, I expected to see 13871379. What I actually saw was, 1387.379. I know that they are crowded right next to each other, but I was sure that it used to read correctly. Two things have changed recently that could play a part in this. One, I replaced my D1000 with the new D1000 T. Also, I loaded release 12 directly from Dynon. Anyone else notice this?? Sure hope this is not one of those really dumb questions!

Thaanks..........Tom

Last edited:
I would guess the "." you're seeing is actually the very bottom right edge of the "1", and that if the numbers were spaced out a few pixels further you would see the "1" as intended. Might just be a layout issue, easily adjusted.

Tom,
Kurt's guess sounds like a good one.

Can you take a screenshot and share it? Press buttons #2 and #7 at the same time with a USB stick inserted and it will be saved on the stick.

I have the same issue,

For me there's nothing wrong with the indication, it's in the screen layout. My EGTs are on the bottom right. Once the indication goes into 4 figures the 1 is replaced by a dot.

If you go into the screen editor you can try and move the widgets a little bit until there's a bit more space.

Here's a link to a short Dynon video that explains widgets and screen layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ox-ud72II

There's a bit in there that tells you how to select and move the widgets around.

When you view the above video you'll see other short Dynon videos with similar topics.

I've been trying to move my lower row to the left a little bit to stop the EGT widgets slightly 'overlapping each other. It's a bit fiddling to do and you don't have to move them much but with some patience it can be done.
That said I moved mine a bit but it's not finished yet!

Hope this helps!

I thought that these two EGT widgets looked a bit closer together on my new D1000 T display, than they did on my old D1000. Anyway, it looks like tomorrow will be another great day for a breakfast flight. I'll give snagging a screen shot onto a stick a try. If it works, I'll post it. Now that I have a better understanding of the spacing issue, my guess is that my problem is a result of installing the new D1000 T screen. Sure hope I can fix this.

Tom

Took a screen shot this morning. Now, let'e see if I can post it.

Tom

bfab1caa-5c99-4be2-b06b-2849e771bbb9_zpsmqo7shkv.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I know a lot of people don't understand the point of a manifold pressure gauge on a fixed pitch prop airplane, but it has a lot more value than you think.

If all you use to set the throttle for cruise is RPM, you have to make a lot of little throttle adjustments after you level off, as the RPMs keep climbing while the airplane accelerates.
With the RV-12 or any other fix pitch airplane that has a MP gauge, once you learn the personality of the airplane you will have memorized what MP will give the Cruise RPM that you like to fly at. You can move the throttle once to set that MP and not touch it again. Level off and over the next few minutes as the airplane accelerates, it will finally settle on your desired RPM.
If all you use is the tach., it is a guess every time.

Wow!! I think it worked!!...............Tom

This issue was discovered a few firmware releases ago and was fixed. If the file available on Van's web site is used, this should not occur (I will check into it and confirm).

Jogging CHTR and EGTL, each to the left one increment will fix the interference problem.

Thanks Scott. I'll wait for your conformation, then reload the file. Something has changed during the upgrade though. The unit that I sent in to Dynon did not have the canopy widget, and the new one does. Oh well...........
No problem. I know how to get rid of that. I had to do that once before

Tom

As you can see on my revised 20% screen, I retain the MP reading but as a simple small number. Taking up all that room for a dial gauge that is 100% Green range is (IMO) not an effective use of the space.

The layout on it is my revision from Vans version. Also note there is room for the canopy indicator to the left of the stall indicator. The 5% strip is fully discussed with more details and refinement in the other thread, it's purpose is for use in CRUISE for a larger PFD and MAP display, and to be one-click away from the 20% screen.

New5PercentEMS.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, Bill. It's great to be able to customize your panel layout with a few key strokes, rather than having to start with a new panel blank and cutting out a bunch of holes.

Tom

This issue was discovered a few firmware releases ago and was fixed. If the file available on Van's web site is used, this should not occur (I will check into it and confirm).

Jogging CHTR and EGTL, each to the left one increment will fix the interference problem.

Hey Scott, did you get a chance to check on this?...............Tom

Hey Scott, did you get a chance to check on this?...............Tom

Yes, I finally had a chance to investigate it today.
It looks like the current download file on the web site for 12.2 is incorrectly formatted again. We are not sure how it happened but we will be correcting it and issuing a revised file.

Took a screen shot this morning. Now, let'e see if I can post it.

Tom

bfab1caa-5c99-4be2-b06b-2849e771bbb9_zpsmqo7shkv.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I just fixed my EGT indications overlapping. In screen editor I started at the left and moved each widget over a bit and left the EGTR where it was. I had the same problem as you with the "1" as a "dot". Now everything reads okay.

Looking at your screen and your ADS-B display. When I got my airplane I had ADSB, NEXRAD etc displayed on the lower left and ADS-B status lower right. Then 12.0 came out and it looked like yours with only the ADS-B status on lower right, which can change to TIS, ADS-B, etc. I've just got my SkyView back from Dynon with a new memory module and now my ADS-B display is as it was previously.

Not sure why?perhaps Dynon Support on here can enlighten? I uploaded the EXPORT SETTINGS and the unit seems to be back performing as it did, it's just the display is different for ADS-B.

I also notice that on the ground the compass headings are close but once airborne the Map display differs by about 7 degrees until back on the ground. I know 12.2 provided compass calibration in-flight and this may be the issue although I only just got the unit back and Dynon loaded 12.2.

If you don't have NEXRAD in the corner it's because you have weather turned off on your map. Go to LAYERS and click WEATHER.

The directional gyro (on the PFD) is always magnetic heading. The map page is ground track when in flight, but compass on the ground. You can see the box around the map heading changes from white to magenta.

If they're off in flight, either you have wind or a bad compass cal. I'm not sure why yours would have been lost. You don't have to use the in-flight cal in 12.0+, so upgrading to that shouldn't change. The in-flight is easy to run though, so it's probably a good idea to use it as an excuse to go for a flight

Yes, I finally had a chance to investigate it today.
It looks like the current download file on the web site for 12.2 is incorrectly formatted again. We are not sure how it happened but we will be correcting it and issuing a revised file.

Anyone that wants to correct it on their own via the screen editor, can do so by moving both CHTR and EGTL two ticks to the left.

"The in-flight is easy to run though, so it's probably a good idea to use it as an excuse to go for a flight."

DYNON HOW do I actually DO that?

In flight yesterday I was running through different settings and I saw Weather was off and after selecting that it NEXRAD was displayed.

Next time I'll check the map heading box. There's a way to select North up/ Track up I think so I'll see if I can find that.

Even though I uploaded the settings after Dynon Tech changed out the memory module I still had to re-enable the auto-trim by doing the set-up.

Another thing that has disappeared from my display…before having the Skyview go to Dynon my rpm showed the 2500rom limit and the oil temp had it's own limit…for the 122F temp limit before exceeding 2500rpm. This has gone now..although the rpm did show a yellow caution if 2500 was exceeded before 122F.

Last edited:
Its on page 5-6 of the 12.2 installation guide:

After observing the cautions above, push buttons 7+8 to enter the IN FLIGHT SETUP MENU. Note – this menu is not accessible while on the ground.
3. Select COMPASS CALIBRATION
4. Right-click the knob to enter the in-flight COMPASS CALIBRATION menu. You will see a screen similar to this:
5. Push the START button to begin the calibration.
6. Observe the NEW CALIBRATION section of the menu. The goal of the in-flight compass calibration is to achieve a compass calibration “quality” of at least 100.
7. The minimum maneuvers for in-flight compass calibration is one 360° turn clockwise, and one 360° turn counterclockwise. Flying additional maneuvers incorporating pitch and roll changes will likely improve the in-flight compass calibration.
8. When the quality is as high as you can obtain (above 70, the minimum), push the FINISH button to complete the in-flight compass calibration. Flying additional maneuvers beyond the minimum may improve the in-flight compass calibration, but will not make it worse.

See the manual for the screenshots that go with the above.

After observing the cautions above, push buttons 7+8 to enter the IN FLIGHT SETUP MENU. Note ? this menu is not accessible while on the ground.
4. Right-click the knob to enter the in-flight COMPASS CALIBRATION menu. You will see a screen similar to this:
6. Observe the NEW CALIBRATION section of the menu. The goal of the in-flight compass calibration is to achieve a compass calibration ?quality? of at least 100.
7. The minimum maneuvers for in-flight compass calibration is one 360? turn clockwise, and one 360? turn counterclockwise. Flying additional maneuvers incorporating pitch and roll changes will likely improve the in-flight compass calibration.
8. When the quality is as high as you can obtain (above 70, the minimum), push the FINISH button to complete the in-flight compass calibration. Flying additional maneuvers beyond the minimum may improve the in-flight compass calibration, but will not make it worse.

Tom,
Thanks SO much for that! As an SLSA newbie I'm not that familiar with the Installation Guide. I have one from last year and I didn't realise that it's updated with each software revision! D'oh!!

I'm going to download it onto my iPad and carry it with me in the plane and I'll update it every time a new version comes out.

Thanks again!:)

The RPM - oil temperature behavior works when the Engine Type is set to Rotax. Yours has probably been reset to "Other." Set it back to Rotax and the RPM gauge behavior will be correct. This has happened to others.

After observing the cautions above, push buttons 7+8 to enter the IN FLIGHT SETUP MENU. Note ? this menu is not accessible while on the ground.
6. Observe the NEW CALIBRATION section of the menu. The goal of the in-flight compass calibration is to achieve a compass calibration ?quality? of at least 100.
7. The minimum maneuvers for in-flight compass calibration is one 360? turn clockwise, and one 360? turn counterclockwise. Flying additional maneuvers incorporating pitch and roll changes will likely improve the in-flight compass calibration.

Tom,

The inflight calibration worked perfectly today. Thanks for the guidance.
I climbed through scattered clouds to smooth air at 5500' and found some good space to do the calibration. made numerous turns both ways and the unit reached 107 in the green when I hit FINISH.

Thanks again.:)

The RPM - oil temperature behavior works when the Engine Type is set to Rotax. Yours has probably been reset to "Other." Set it back to Rotax and the RPM gauge behavior will be correct. This has happened to others.

Bill,

You were absolutely right. I checked today and it was set to 'unknown'. As soon as I set it to 912 ULS it was restored to where it was before.

Thanks for the guidance!!

Back