What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Those that went to RV-12 from 6,7,8,9?

ty1295

Well Known Member
Curious to see feedback for those that went to a 12 and flew or owned another version prior. What are the benefits and downsides.

Debating back and forth on 12 vs another model for awhile now. The speed of others is attractive, but operating cost of others surely adds into that factor. Is it worth it.

Being the 12 is so light do you notice more bumps.

Anything else be helpful to know.

RV-12 vs Other RVs

Jeff,

You asked about the RV-12s vs. the other RVs. I've built and flown an RV-6A, RV-10 and RV-12. I've also done builder assistance on the RV-3, RV-6, RV-7, RV-8 and RV-14. From the building perspective, the RV-12 is hands down the easiest to build. In fact, I chose the -12 since my rivet bucking partners got married and moved away. The pulled rivets on the RV-12 make it a piece of cake to build by yourself. I only needed help to mate the big parts.

From a flying perspective, the RV-12 is a very nice ride. Now, it is not the 175 knot traveling machine like the RV-10. But, it also doesn't have the appetite for fuel. Visibility in the -12 is better than any other RV (my opinion). You asked about bumps, yes the RV-12 is very light and you'll feel the bumps more than the other RVs.

So, it comes down to your mission. Do you need a fire breathing cross country rocketship for the whole family? That's not the RV-12. If you're looking for an aerobatic machine designed to G your brains out. Then, the RV-12 is not for you. But, if you need a nimble platform that burns 5 gallons an hour.(Autogas) and can get you from point A to point B at about 110 knots, then you need an RV-12.

Dennis

PS. E-mail me if you want to discuss further. [email protected]

(The views expressed in this post are not shared by the NBA, NFL, NHL or any other sports ball organization)

Jeff and Dennis,

I can't agree more with your assessment Dennis. I built and flew an RV6, 7years building and 14 years of flying it. I am extremely pleased with my RV12, but it is a lighter thus more sensitive to atmospheric conditions on the ground or in route flying. But overall performance is very respectable and the cost of operating is really reasonable in scheme of all things flying. It is a nicely designed plane IMHO.

So Jeff like owning a car or a truck, what do you want in a computer, or anything where the mission really drives the choice you have to weigh out the usual pros and cons. Get a ride in the different planes, talk to others who have multiple experiences (similar to what you are trying here), and use those opinions to make your choice.

I do miss the speed of the RV6 sometimes but for the type of flying I do now the RV12 suits me just fine. Good luck in evaluations!!

RV12 Vs RV-6

I loved my RV12, took off and landed shorter than my -6. Great visibility and handling.

Just not ready yet to slow down......

The obvious differences of aerobatics, and built time I fully understand. Curious more to those that have owned both and prefer one over the other and why.

I built, own, and fly a 9A, and have built and flown several 12s (actually, supervised the builds, kids built them.) I love my 9A and consider it the best two seat aircraft (for my mission) out there. I actually like the 10 better, but it is a little too rich for my blood.
That said, when I just want to fly, or am not in a hurry, the 12 is my pick. It is comfortable, the visibility is better (IMHO) and is certainly is cheaper to fly. Since aerobatics isn't in my agenda anymore, the two planes compare very well, speed and costs being the main differences. When it comes to building, the 12 wins hands down. High school sophomores can build a beautiful plane, with hardly any supervision, yet it keeps you interested. Seeing things come together faster is really fun, and a real plus.
To me, it boils down to the need for speed. If you can live with 119 knots, the 12 is your airplane. Ride in my 9A is better, but only when I drop down in speed to RV-12 speeds. Bumps can be sharp at full cruise.

Bob

RV-12

Slow your RV-6 down to 110 kts and see what kind of fuel burn you will get. You will be surprised.

Visibility is far superior in the -12. One issue is if you are a buyer or a builder. If you are a buyer, you can take an easy 2-day course and then have inspection signoff capability on the ELSA -12, can't do that with any EAB model. The 12 is great at doing exactly what they claim it will do. It won't do much more though! So that needs to fit your mission.

I wanted to build. First time very meticulous mechanical engineer builder. 950 hours. Enjoyed every minute!

I have built and flown an RV6, two RV8s and now have the RV12. I also have time in Rv7s and 7As as well as RV9 and 9As.
My favorite was the Rv6. It was fast, and very consistent on landings regardless of the weight.
The RV8s are the sexiest of the lot in my opinion and you can't beat the center line seating for fighter like flying, but they are harder to consistently make really good landings in.
RV7s are similar to the -6, but the ones I have flown were all heavier and not as sporty as the -6.
The RV12 is my second favorite. They are very short field for TO&L especially single pilot and visibility for sight seeing is superb. They are also roomier due to the shape of the canopy and I like the comfortable seating. If you have long legs the RV12 will be comfortable for you. It is extremely fun to do TO&Ls seeing how smoothly you can touch down while holding the nose gear off the runway for the whole procedure. Car gas Is also cheaper and you only use about 5 GPH. It is a great plane for giving YE rides since it is easy to get in and out of. ( if only It was a tail dragger:-0)
On the other hand, the RV12 and Rotax engine have had a lot of SBs and at least in my opinion, this is the biggest issue with the RV12. (If you have the S-LSA version you must comply with all SBs but even with the E-LSA version I'd recommend you comply.)
Having said all that, I still love the RV-12 and rarely miss the other RV models, but then again I'm not a big traveler any more and do mostly local flying.
All the RVs I have flown are exceptional planes to fly, but I guess the best one is the one you happen to be in at the moment!
Have fun choosing. You can't go wrong as long as it is an RV!

I have built and flown an RV6, two RV8s and now have the RV12. I also have time in Rv7s and 7As as well as RV9 and 9As.
My favorite was the Rv6. It was fast, and very consistent on landings regardless of the weight.
The RV8s are the sexiest of the lot in my opinion and you can't beat the center line seating for fighter like flying, but they are harder to consistently make really good landings in.
RV7s are similar to the -6, but the ones I have flown were all heavier and not as sporty as the -6.
The RV12 is my second favorite. They are very short field for TO&L especially single pilot and visibility for sight seeing is superb. They are also roomier due to the shape of the canopy and I like the comfortable seating. If you have long legs the RV12 will be comfortable for you. It is extremely fun to do TO&Ls seeing how smoothly you can touch down while holding the nose gear off the runway for the whole procedure. Car gas Is also cheaper and you only use about 5 GPH. It is a great plane for giving YE rides since it is easy to get in and out of. ( if only It was a tail dragger:-0)
On the other hand, the RV12 and Rotax engine have had a lot of SBs and at least in my opinion, this is the biggest issue with the RV12. (If you have the S-LSA version you must comply with all SBs but even with the E-LSA version I'd recommend you comply.)
Having said all that, I still love the RV-12 and rarely miss the other RV models, but then again I'm not a big traveler any more and do mostly local flying.
All the RVs I have flown are exceptional planes to fly, but I guess the best one is the one you happen to be in at the moment!
Have fun choosing. You can't go wrong as long as it is an RV!

This is a great assessment Steve. I have to second the comfort level of the 12. I am broad shouldered and the 12 can handle two of me. Regarding the Rotax, most of the s/b's are pretty minor, but this recent float fiasco is nothing short of disgraceful. I still like the 912 and would not have anything else that is currently available. BTW, I just completed my second 12 and it took 5 months.

RV-12 vs. RV-9A

I built and put over 500 hrs on my 9 but needed to switch to LSA to keep flying so I bought a flying 12 with a partner and am nearing completion on my 12. As other have said it depends upon your mission. My 9 had a 160 HP with a constant speed so I do miss the climb, speed and acceleration kick but the 12 is just as fun to fly, has better visibility and access and is cheaper to operate. It does take me longer on cross country's and I typically fly lower but what is wrong with logging more time. With that said, if it was not for the medical issue I would have kept the 9. I would be completely happy with the 12 if it had a constant speed prop and a Lycoming. I tell folks that compared to other planes they are both sports cars with the CS 9 being a Corvette and the 12 a Miata.

I don't own a plane but have been following this forum for a while and asked myself the same question a couple times. IMHO(and that's all that it is) if you plan on traveling, I think your better off going with a 6,7,8 etc. I believe it opens up a lot more options and destinations. They make the spontaneous day trip more attainable and longer trips easier to do. If you plan on spending most your time flying local then the obvious choice is the 12.

As far as cost difference, I think you're looking at around $30hr for just fuel burn difference, running both planes at the top end. obviously the 12 being cheaper. You have to consider your time into this figure. 2 hours to get to your destination or 3? The spread gets further apart the further you fly. To me, the cost difference in fuel alone and considering my time isn't worth going with the 12. But that all reverts back to your mission, mine will be 90% traveling.

Removable wings

I haven't seen any comments on the 12's removable wings. How often does that feature come into play for 12 owners and is it worth the loss in baggage and fuel capacity? When I think about removing and reinstalling the wings on my 6A for whatever reason, I get weak in the knees.

John

Wing removal

I haven't seen any comments on the 12's removable wings. How often does that feature come into play for 12 owners and is it worth the loss in baggage and fuel capacity? When I think about removing and reinstalling the wings on my 6A for whatever reason, I get weak in the knees.

John

You don't need to get weak-kneed with removing/installing the RV-12 wings--it just isn't that useful. I have removed the wings for the following:

1. Transporting to/from hangar and workshop
2. For inspection
3. When I needed to cram an extra plane in the hangar

Though I have removed/installed the wings single-handedly, and a few handy-dandy mechanisms have been used, ala sailplanes, its more comfortable to have two people on the task. Thus, removing the wings after each flight and re-installing before the next flight is not generally made for the solo flier. You can also find various posts on trailering the RV-12.

Rob

Wing removal

Particularly useful for annual inspections - really makes putting fuse up on saw horses possible. Access to the baggage area / fuel tank is easier. Assume it would make painting somewhat easier as well but that should be a one time benefit.

Few -12 owners regularly remove the wings from what I've seen. Might contribute to more wear and tear but I'm just speculating.

John

I seldom need to remove the wings, but I'm the envy of all the other RV owners on the field for those times when I do. While you might fit more fuel in the wings, you would still be limited to 1320lb gross weight, so you're unlikely to gain much by re-locating the tank. For an LSA, 50lbs of baggage is a fine and the baggage compartment is easily big enough for that. It's all a question of compromise but I really like the design of the 12.

I am building a -12 but have flown the factory -14 and a few -12's. I ended up buying a factory built S-LSA that is very similar to the -12 in about every respect. It also has the 100 HP Rotax. I was actually surprised when I flew the -14 at the factory as I expected it to be a little more roomy than it turned out to be. The -12 is obviously a different plane. Some have made comments about doing long cross countries in it. The guys from Synergy can certainly talk to that. Chris from Synergy has flown the factory built -12's cross country to Oregon to Florida a few times. I spoke to him about it and he said it was comfortable and not a problem. I fly my Gobosh S-LSA on long cross countries frequently and have no issues with it. Sure, I would love to have more speed, but it is all a trade. I do feel the bumps a little more and the -12 would be the same. I have flown my S-LSA to Oshkosh several times, even racing it against a RV-12 in the Air Venture Cup air race last year. I am in a holding pattern with mine right now, trying to decide if I want to finish it. This is mostly driven by the fact that I already have a flying plane that is very similar.

Funny that I am actually sitting in Seattle on my way to the AOPA fly in in Salinas CA. I am going commercial after starting out this morning to take my plane from Colorado to CA. It is totally doable. I decided against it because of IFR conditions along the route and thunderstorms. These would be an issue regardless if it had been the -12 or any other RV, unless it was IFR capable with an appropriately rated pilot, which I am not.

Carl

I love my RV-12 -- flew it 160+ hours over the past 13 months. Fun to fly, cheap to operate, good cross-country speed/comfort, great visibility, and roomy. If it weren't for ROTAX's disgraceful handling of the float issue, I'd be 100% satisfied. I have over 600 hours in other RVs (-6,-9A, -4, and Harmon Rocket) and my -12 is every bit as much fun as they are (minus the aerobatics capability). The removable wings are nice to have if you want to trailer the fuselage home for the Annual or major mods or put the plane in long-term dead storage off airport :(. In reality, I suspect that a very small percentage of -12 operators actually use the removable wings feature on a regular basis.

I have a Cherokee 180 as well as my RV-12. I built it as a hedge against medical issues as I get older. I think the statement about mission is spot on. My wife loves to load her baggage and be in Las Vegas two hassle-free hours later in the Cherokee. I love to enjoy the Arizona skies solo on the weekend in my RV-12. They both have their place.

Back