What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling support platform

I need an idea of how large to build my support platform to hold the material parallel to my DRDT-2 Dimpler. I have a 8x4 worktable that it will all sit on top of.
All suggestions would be appreciated. (I?m building an RV 8)

I went "the other way". I cut a hole in my table (big enough to place the DRDT into it), and sat the DRDT on a reinforced bottom of the table, so that the dimpling die was level with the table top. This left me with 2' either side, and about a foot in front (much more than that becomes an uncomfortable reach). When I needed the whole table, I took it out. (BTW, although it's heavy, I suggest bolting it down to the table).

That?s sounds like a good idea. Although I?m using the (underneath) of the table for storage right now, I could probably make that work. I?ll let you know what I come up with. Thanks for the reply and stay safe and healthy.

I have 2 work benches. I put a 2 x 4 on the end of each bench, screwed to the 2 end legs. They are down from the table top about 7 3/4 inches. When I want to dimple, I set the 2 two benches about a foot apart end to end, place a piece of 3/4 in plywood between them on top of those 2 x4s and set the DRDT between the benches. The material I am working with then sits flush with the bench tops.
I'd send a pic but I haven't mastered that on this site

Platform

Similar. I have a 4'x4'x4" platform. Place the two EAA benches side by side. Clamp the platform and start dimpling. I'm a C-Frame builder and the business end is close to the edge so it's over the sturdy area.

I have a large table made from a solid door and two card board boxes from some parts I use to support the aluminum. I use c clamps to hold the drdt, sometimes in the middle of the table sometimes on the ends. I like the boxes for support as it seems each sheet of material needs numerous different orientations to get to all the holes.

IMG_5356_heic-L.jpg

IMG_5357_heic-L.jpg

I have 2 work benches. I put a 2 x 4 on the end of each bench, screwed to the 2 end legs. They are down from the table top about 7 3/4 inches. When I want to dimple, I set the 2 two benches about a foot apart end to end, place a piece of 3/4 in plywood between them on top of those 2 x4s and set the DRDT between the benches. The material I am working with then sits flush with the bench tops.
I'd send a pic but I haven't mastered that on this site

This is how I do it.

Simpler idea

I just bolted the drt2 to the Middle of my eaa table. Then used ~1 1/2? styrofoam from the aviation isle at home depot to build a foam boArd table on each side At the height of the dimple die Using construction adhesive. Simple and light weight. I would tape the foam extensions to the table when using so they wouldnt move.

Back