What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder Hints

Shop Rules

Unless I missed it, no tips yet on this thread about Miller Time. Here's what is strictly enforced here at the Southern Engineering Corporation Annex-in-the- Hills.

Drill Press, Scotchbrite Wheel: 8 hours bottle to "on" switch
All power tools, firearms: 0 beers
Hand tools: 1 beer
Broom & dustpan: 2 beers
Light switch "off", shop locked: 3+beers

Rules apply to builder, helpers, spectators.

Jim in South Texas
RV6A 223JH
RV12 N233TX

Last edited:
#79 If your local Jehovah's witness is a pilot DO NOT show him your plane. He will fill your shop with "Watchtowers" . Of course you can use them for masking paper later.

If you're going to weld something, try to choose something that doesn't lose strength when welded, like 6061-T6 does. It loses roughly about half its strength when welded.

Last edited:
Breathe

1.)
If you run into a build problem (e.g. a hole in the control horn on the right elevator and the bearing bushing don't quite line up perfect) take a day or 2 to think about it.

The answer will often come to you while doing something else. (in this case an appendectomy) Adjusting the bearing rods on the right elevator 2 turns lined everything up perfectly...

2.)
Ask the forum - this commnity has pulled my bacon out of the fire before.

3.)
It's your plane do it the way you want to.

4.)
Other's may think you're crazy building a plane in your garage... ignore them

5.)
Make friends with your neighbor

Cave Politic

Mike?s first rule of unintended consequences: SO's shoe expenditures rise in direct proportion to the number of tools you admit to buying.

RV-8 in progress

Mike?s first rule of unintended consequences: SO's shoe expenditures rise in direct proportion to the number of tools you admit to buying.

RV-8 in progress

Consider yourself lucky. Mine decided we needed a pool.

If you decide to skip a step because you think it might be a better idea to wait until later in the build process, make a note of it, otherwise you will spend a fair amount of time wondering "well now...why didn't I put those four rivets in?"

Sorry, it's a little big, but I love this advice!

271441_2259301921204_1208090008_2779804_2122368_o.jpg

Drilling Tips

I am sure that tips like this one have been mentioned before. I have found that when drilling holes, I really like the final size to be done with a reamer. I got this advice from Noel Simmons about the rivet holes but I think it is doubly important to have clean holes when it comes to bolting parts on like the tail feathers. There are several places where the holes will be drilled though some fairly thick material, as Noel explained the drill bit has a tendency to leave a spiral cut mark on the sides of the hole as it goes through.

Using a reamer does a couple of things: 1. It cleans up the hole and makes for a nice finish fit for the bolts and 2. If the hole is a pickup hole, in other words drilling into another hole that was scribed and then back drilled, it will help alignment of the assembly.

There is no need to buy a complete set of reamers, the most common ones that I have used so far are the #40, #30 (for rivet holes) and 3/16" for -3 AN bolts, 1/4" for -4 AN bolts and 5/16" for -5 AN bolts. I would also have a set of numbered and fractional drill bits handy, it has worked for me to drill the holes a couple of sizes under the final size and then final ream, this also helps if the hole was drilled slightly crooked, it leaves a little material for the reamer to center itself.

I also use Boelube for cutter lubrication, I have had really good luck with the 4 oz jar of this stuff, its a little spendy but it really does make the cutters last longer.

Another thing, Starrett.com has some really nice reference information about drilling and tapping and you can order the reference cards from them for free. I order some for my A&P students every year and it's really invaluable materials to have in your toolbox.

Rivet hole alignment tool.

When you break your 6 inch clearance drill bits, Use the un fluted shank, put a dowel handle on one end and a smooth taper on the other and they make the best rivet hole alignment tool because they are the right size for the hole.

If you decide to skip a step because you think it might be a better idea to wait until later in the build process, make a note of it, otherwise you will spend a fair amount of time wondering "well now...why didn't I put those four rivets in?"

Am finding this out the hard way...3 years away from working on the project during a move results in a lot of time spent going back and forth from the fuselage to the manual to the bench full of parts to the plans and back again.

AAAARRRGH! Hopefully it won't be much longer before I am once again oriented and cutting metal.

Changing bits

If you are going to change drill bits in your souix with your hand, where safety goggles or do it really slow. I slung the drill bits out a few times at lightning speed and would easily put your eye out;)

The sagest advice ever:

"Make haste slowly."

Pretty much every mistake I've made was because I was working too quickly, moving too quickly, or failing to think about what I was about to do/move/work on. (Applies to just about everything, including my regular job :) ).

Finger clamps

Don't use your fingers as clamps. Getting
bits of metal out of deep tissue takes a long time for
your body to eject. Oh and a sharper bit I think
may do less damage!

If your construction manual or builder's log does not have any of the following: blood, oil, grease, metal shavings, ink, beer, tears, sweat, or such marks and/or stains within its pages, you are most likely doing something wrong, and probably not building an airplane. Recheck/redo your work accordingly.

searching

Your knee cap will find the rivet you dropped yesterday while crawling around looking for the nut you dropped today.

long reach

Any object rolling off the work bench will immediately roll to the far wall under the work bench.
Exception: Xacto knives will land on the blade prior to rolling to the far wall.

Kinda hate to spoil the fun with a serious tip. But I needed to share it with someone anyway;
Use the right tool for the job.

I had an air hammer. Looks just like any 2x or 3x in various vendors sites. Attempted the tool box kit with my gun and the correct rivet sets. After watching the sets bounce across my shiny aluminum I decided something is wrong here. Bought the gun that A/S sells with the RV tool kit. I'm sure most everyone reading knows what I discovered.

Setting rivetes with that gun made me buy the -8 Emp kit.

Blain

I won't even show anyone my toolbox kit. It is total ****. The hinge doesn't work, hammer marks all over it. I am just glad I got the toolbox first!

Hey - I grew up in Cameron Park and taught at Rolling Hills for 7 years. We moved to Colorado about 6 years ago. Mike S is up on the airpark and would be a good person to contact for help. Just a few minutes with someone that knows what is going on makes a huge difference.

Have fun with your build.

I won't even show anyone my toolbox kit. It is total ****. The hinge doesn't work, hammer marks all over it. I am just glad I got the toolbox first!

Hey - I grew up in Cameron Park and taught at Rolling Hills for 7 years. We moved to Colorado about 6 years ago. Mike S is up on the airpark and would be a good person to contact for help. Just a few minutes with someone that knows what is going on makes a huge difference.

Have fun with your build.

Sounds like everyone has had the same learning curve. I have made contact with Mike.

Blain

When moving fast while installing rivets and using your thighs to hold the rivet gun while you insert the next rivet into the hole be, sure you dont squeez the trigger!

When you plan the budget for your airplane, remember double it. In order to move on to the next major expenditure, you're going to have to do a remodel project or some similarly expensive thing to preserve domestic tranquility. I can't afford an engine for a while now, but we have a REALLY NICE new master bath.

REALLY nice.

You know, like "I could have bought a new Lycoming and a G3X panel for this much" nice.

1.)
If you run into a build problem (e.g. a hole in the control horn on the right elevator and the bearing bushing don't quite line up perfect) take a day or 2 to think about it.

The answer will often come to you while doing something else. (in this case an appendectomy) ...
:eek::eek::eek:

Now I know why the chief of surgery carries around a rivet fan!

fuel lube or assembly fluid

Tight spots with hardware can be dealt with nicely by putting some fuel lube or assembly fluid on your finger. This sticky stuff keeps washers/nuts etc on your fingertips until they are on properly :)

it's probably been said here somewhere but ...

when I was dissembling some control surfaces as a precursor to paint, there were a couple places with stacked washers. The builder had been smart enough to superglue them together for easy installation. I thanked him 5 weeks later when I was putting the airplane back together !

Stick to it

"...[his] first attempt at flight ended in a ground loop, which required $100 to repair. After repairs ... he attempted flight 13 more times, each time ending in some sort of failure. Finally on his 13th attempt, he got a glimpse of hope as his aircraft bounced up into the air for a short time before crashing into the trees as he attempted to turn it. After his crash, he exclaimed in frustration, 'I'm going to fly this thing, then I'm going to set it afire and never have another thing to do with aeroplanes!' "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Vernon_Cessna

pneumatic squeezers

You will discover how big your belly roll really is, when you lay your pneumatic squeezers in your lap, and then bend over and reach for something that you need.
I went on an instant diet.
Bob

Gorilla Tape

Gorilla Tape. If you haven't tried it, buy a roll. You will throw your 1/2 used rolls of duct tape away. This is the stuff Vans using in packing kits (at least the Emp kit I purchased early this year).

I could tell an embarrassing story about how I used it to retrive my tungston bar from the leading edge bay while doing bottom wing skins but I'll save that for another thread:eek:

Deck of cards

I grabbed a deck of cards from my poker group and have used at least half so far.

.. Mix small batches of epoxy or bondo and toss

.. Checking clearances like the door gap on a -10

.. Glue/epoxy spreader, use your credit card for its intended purpose, buying parts!

...I could tell an embarrassing story about how I used it to retrive my tungston bar from the leading edge bay while doing bottom wing skins but I'll save that for another thread:eek:

The latest good advice I recently received from an experienced builder was to move the wing to a horizontal surface for riveting the bottom wing skins. In addition to MUCH improved access, I guess it also keeps you from dropping the bucking bar into the leading edge...:eek:

RTFM!!!! at least twice!!!

Read the freaking manual at least twice before you start doing the next step!!!!

Read Twice, execute work once!!!!

not the other way around!

how do i know?????

let us call it experience...........!!

Gorilla Tape. If you haven't tried it, buy a roll. You will throw your 1/2 used rolls of duct tape away. This is the stuff Vans using in packing kits (at least the Emp kit I purchased early this year).

I could tell an embarrassing story about how I used it to retrive my tungston bar from the leading edge bay while doing bottom wing skins but I'll save that for another thread:eek:

Don't mix Gorilla Grip tape and latex gloves ... once they come into contact, they are welded together forever! Amazing adhesion, GG tape is the only thing I have around the shop; fantastic product!

Engine/Prop Salvage

Any ideas on what production aircraft makes/models make good candidates for salvage. I'm looking for an engine/prop that I can use and maybe salvage the instruments/guages/ckt breakers and such. I would prefer a constant speed prop. A standard PA28 cherokee with a hollow crank would probably work. A PA-28 Arrow with a CS prop MIGHT work, but the prop hub is not compact. Has anyone been successful salvaging an old airplane into their RV project? Thanks for your ideas in advance.

I would be interested in this as well, I am thinking of an old Tri Pacer or Pa 28, to putz around in until ready to move the Lyc 360, instruments, radio, etc.. We cannot be the first to think of this.?

Thoughts

These are funny but... you will re-enact some of them and think of this tread and an internal laugh will erupt in your head.

Pants

ok... the top button on my pants broke... no big deal... now the second one down broke... (there is not zipper just buttons) Im too far from the house to change so, use the tools in hand... WARNING! Dont use steel rivets like I did!

New Builder

This is my first post. I thought I'd take the opportunity to endorse the EAA Sport Aviation Workshop. In a single weekend I was able to personally experience all the tips below: :eek:

Regards,
Bruce Kaplan
Burke, VA
RV-14, Pre-build Stage

#14 Hint for builder: Make sure that cleco side clamps are totally closed before grabbing them from the cleco pliers. Unless of course you need good examples of blood blisters.
#67 When back riveting, don't get so wrapped up in all the process of loading rivets, taping them in place, getting out the back rivet set, setting up the gun, etc that you forget to place the SECOND piece to be riveted onto the taped-in-place-rivets before setting the rivets. I've done this more than once.
#70 When you do forget to place the second piece - your rivets will be the best ever.
{Posters Note: I was so proud of my first rivets I called over the instructor: ?That?s fine work Bruce?where?s the stiffener? Now you?re going to learn how to drill out some rivets.?}
#69 An RV is not made of metal as is popularly thought, it is actually made of blood, sweat, and curses.
# 140 Don't mix Gorilla Grip tape and latex gloves ... once they come into contact, they are welded together forever! {The latex gloves were necessary b/c of the blood mentioned in #69.}

If you've hung something from the garage door opener track to paint it, don't open the garage door to air the place out.

Even if the paint has dried to the touch.

Sigh.....

Dave

If you've hung something from the garage door opener track to paint it, don't open the garage door to air the place out.

Even if the paint has dried to the touch.

Sigh.....

Dave

Or trust your wife not to hit the button in her car...

Best just to uplug the darn thing.

Back